Friday, October 03, 2008

Friendship

"I count myself in nothing else so happy, as in a soul remembering my good friends." - William Shakespeare

I once saw a group of women out for a morning walk. I observed that at some moments they would laugh hysterically recollecting memories or perhaps in making fun of one another's corks. And then I would observe the mood turn solemn as they would discuss serious topics, and concerns. As I observed these women I found envy swell within me. I often gripe that one of the hardest things about my transient life is that I am unable to be with my dearest friends. I have once heard the quote:


"How lucky I am to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye to."


I truly do consider myself lucky when I think of all the amazing friends I have met and grown to love. As we once again look around for other places to live, I find myself feeling the loss of yet more friends. But as I consider these losses, I can't help but reflect on my friends all over the world. In each place I have lived I have found friends whom I admire, learn from, cherish and love. Utah, Viriginia, Canada, New York, Ohio, China, Tokyo and now England; I hope you know who you are. You, who have touched my life and made it better. You, who have left a mark within my heart. You, who have been my sounding board during times of struggle. You, whom I daily strive to emulate.


I thank you my dear friends. I miss you and I love you. I hope one day we can be that group of women walking together to the envy of all those who view our devotion and security.


"We always thought we'd look back on our tears and laugh, but we never thought we'd look back on our laughter and cry."




Back in 1998, I was pregnant with Sav, it is amazing the devastating effects time can have on your youthful appearance. I look like a severely outdated teeny bopper and Harv actually has no grey, Darrell has hair and Natasha looks 12! Harvey just went to visit Darrell and Natasha in VA and the jealousy is what set me on this path of reflection and all my dear friends that I miss so much.


9 comments:

Heather S said...

I miss you too! I hope next time you can be visiting friends with Harvey.

Ford Family said...

This is such a nice post- I am going to miss you when you go! So don't; just stay here in good old England for awhile longer! I'm sure you could manage another winter here! lol! (Although probably what's keeping you going this year is knowing you won't have to experience it next year!)

Chelsea Parsons said...

where are you guys heading to next Linds? As for your post... I swear it was in my head too! Perfectly said. When Dave recently went back to Ithaca I was insanely jealous and sad that I couldnt be there with friends again. Arg, heart ache over missing my friends who are everywhere too.

Dem, Mem and Them said...

You pegged my feelings exactly! It will be hard to leave Japan too, but new friends are just around the corner somewhere. If we only knew where? :)

Weston and William's Blog said...

I know why you move around so much- you are the type of person that many people need to have the opportunity to meet and get to know- you are a great example to your friends. There need to be more people like you, then you wouldn't have to move around so much!!

Angie said...

Lindsay, I love this post. I was having a rough day...not sure why, until I read your blog. You know when you have yourself a pitty party when really there is no reason for one. So glad I stopped in for a visit and read your beautiful message. You made my day. Thanks.

Mandy said...

Another beautiful post. Where and when are you moving? I can only imagine how hard it must be, but also how rewarding to get to know so many great people. You are lucky and they are lucky (those who get to have you near them.)

Bron Williams said...

you know you should write all this and compile in a book
heaps of gals would buy it!
call it daily uplifting thoughts or something like that:)
beautiful how you capture thoughts
.....thanks :)
Bron

Sunshine Promises said...

The Mannings are indeed fabulous though it has been years since I've seen them.

Oh how I wish you lived closer so I could gleen from your warmth, insight and generous spirit. I am comforted, however, that you have family here and that maybe someday that might bring you to UT for a vacation, an extended visit or to stay.

In the meantime, good luck on your world adventures. I always knew you and "the dreamer" would be globetrotters.

Send my love to the fam -
Amanda