Sunday, October 19, 2008

Become as a Child

I suffer from it,...I do,... we all do to some degree. Envy can be a terrible thing, something that can destroy friendships, hinder talents and can be the cause of one to question their own individual worth.


There are many times I look at my children and wish I could possess the confidence and self-assurance that they do. They have these unconquerable spirits and if told they can achieve greatness, they will do just that...However, it wasn't until just a few days ago that I realized they possess the quality that all mankind would do better to possess; humility.

Savannah and Madison both acquired some Rollerblades at the same time. As Madison put the skates on, she immediately started to skate around. Balance and coordination were no obstacles for her as she zipped around corners. For Savannah however the awkwardness of her height and stiffness of her legs required her to exert more effort. Her body would constantly surrender to gravity as she often found herself falling down.

As the day came to a close, one would think Savannah would end up frustrated and feel down as she watched her much littler sister do circles around her. However, she decided the feelings of envy were quite beneath her. She came up with a different plan. She was going to take advantage of Madison's skills and put them in her favor.

She quickly devised a plan and excitedly voiced it to Madison. Coach M, was Madison's new name and coaching Savannah was her game. Because Madison's rollerblading skill set was further advanced she was going to enlist Madison to be her Coach and have Maddie teach her the those coveted rollerblading skills. Needless to say, Madison's confidence soared and she readily came up with a Coaching format...the following day they began. Within a few days Savannah's skills were equal to that of her younger sisters.

After the event I looked with pride at my daughters. Savannah's ability to be humble and brush envy aside, and Madison's ability to share the talent she had, were inspiring to me.

When His disciples approached Him and inquired, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” He responded by placing a little child in their midst and stating, “Whosoever … shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 18:4

I have often read this scripture and listened to this doctrine, but it wasn't until I witnessed the actions of my own children that I knew what it was to truly "become as a child." To be humble and be encouraged by the gifts others acquire and share the gifts we ourselves occupy.

Thank you girls for you sweet examples.


4 comments:

Ford Family said...

That's such a great example, I wish I could be like that!

Angie said...

Lindsay, you have great kids and that is because they have GREAT parents.

HAVING THE TIME OF MY LIFE....... said...

Sweet girls.

Unknown said...

Lindsay, I love the pictures and the commentary of your trip. What a great time you are having over there. Your kids are beautiful, your mom told me about the ocean experience. I felt so bad for you all. Your are a great mom, don't feel guilty over things that are not expected, it's how you handled it after. Love Ya Pam
p.s. this is not from Ron