Sunday, March 02, 2008

Happy Mother's Day


Happy Mother's Day! I had no idea in England they celebrate Mother's Day 3 Sundays before Easter. So it was quite nice having this day earlier than expected!

I have had a change of heart towards mother's day this year. For some reason I have had it in my mind that mother's day means it is a "day-off" for mom, a day for me to hang my many hats, sit back and relax. I always expect it to mean that I will get to sleep in, my children will be well-behaved, everyone will be perpetually full, therefore no need for me to cook, they will all know to either clean their own messes, or better yet just not to make them at all. But, as many of you know, that dream mother's day never occurs. As I was driving to church today all my children were screaming, crying, complaining and I pulled the car over and said to each one of them, "It is mother's day, can't you just give me one day of peace!" Little did I know I was about to learn the greatest lesson on mother's day I have ever learned.

As I was sitting at church with my look of disappointment towards the events of the day so far, a woman in the congregation stood up and walked to the pulpit to share with all of us her thoughts on mother's day. She began, by of course, thanking her own mother, but then her thoughts took a different turn. She started to say how grateful she was to be a mother during mother's day! What a blessing it was to be a mother...Instantly my heart sank, she had the right idea. She somehow knew, that mother's day wasn't about sleeping in, and pampering yourself while your husband resumed not only his duties but yours as well (where I got this idea, I have no idea). Mother's day is about being a mother. It should be about me celebrating the fact that God has given me the chance to raise children, to love them, and to care for them. A day for me to take a look at each one of my children and see them as God sees them, to read their sweet notes of love towards me, to gaze at their crafty attempts to make me feel loved and appreciated. As selfish as I had been up to that moment, I am so grateful for this dear Sister who changed my thoughts on Mother's day from self-indulgence to gratitude.

For many of my friends and all of my family this thought has come two months early, but still I hope you all have a very Happy Mother's Day, especially my own mother as she has had more not-so-indulgent mother's day's than myself. I love you Mom!

10 comments:

Angie said...

Happy Mother's Day! I think that we should celebrate every month, no make that every week. You are always a role model to me. Keep up the good work.
Angie

Anonymous said...

Hey Lindsay! I'm so glad you found our blog. Your family has grown so fast too. I can't believe how big Savannah is! I loved this post about Mother's Day. I agree that it should be a time to remember the joys, and blessings of motherhood.

Kat

Koch Clan said...

I have had the same outlook on mother's day as you. I am still waiting to sleep in just one day out of the year! That is a great perspective though. I will keep that in mind for Mother's Day.

Lesley-Ann said...

Hi Lindsay, Mothers Day isn't always on the first Sunday in March. Mothers Day which is believed to have originated from as early the 16th century is 3 Sundays before Easter Sunday or the 4th Sunday of Lent and next years Mothers Day is 22nd March and Easter Sunday 12th April. The UK Mothers Day or Mothering Sunday (as it is often called) is a religious festival tied to Easter Sunday and that date was set by Constantine in 326 AD, which was based on the Paschal Full Moon which cannot before the 20th of March. In America it is described as holiday which is always on the same day being the 2nd Sunday in May and surprisingly has only a holiday for you guys since 1915. Anyway I thought that might be of interest to you.
Have a great week. Lesley-Ann.

leslie said...

i think i like this "new" outlook...;) i'm gonna give it a try this year....thanks for sharing linds!

Lesley-Ann said...

Hi Lindsay, in my bid to give you a history lesson today (only becasue we were discussing the history of Mothers Day yesterday at dinner with Steve's parents as my mother-in-law is pretty knowledgeable) that I forgot to comment on how nice it was to read what you actually said about being a mother! And that I too was touched by the same testimony yesterday. Love Lesley-Ann

Scott Fam Dam said...

Thanks for the info Lesley, I definitely don't want to get my info wrong. I guess I just assumed! Thanks for the correction!

Lisa said...

Mother's day there? so cool! you are a great mother!! Happy Mother's Day to you :)

Angie said...

I was just tagged so I'm tagging you. Read my blog for instructions. How are you? I am so glad we have kept in touch. Have a great weekend.
Angie

Camden said...

I love that sentiment lindsay. i've had similar thoughts lately. My biggest treat always seems to be time away from the kids and motherly duties instead of enjoying the privilege of just being their mother. Here's a great blog about mothering http://letterstoaparent.wordpress.com/2008/03/10/to-the-mom-whos-not-perfect/ that i think you might like. i read this girls blog religiously (the writer of this particular letter) even though I have no idea who she is.