Thursday, March 20, 2008

Easter Bonnets

Carson brought home a note the other day stating that they were going to have an Easter Bonnet Parade, and Carson needed to make his bonnet at home and bring it to school. "Wait, wait, wait, A BONNET! No, No, No my BOY isn't wearing a bonnet!" This at least was my first thought. Until I asked around and realized that this is a tradition amongst preschoolers. They make these bonnets, which are meant to be sort of "goofy," "creative," and "silly," and then proceed to parade them. So I got to work. Once the project was complete I thought for sure I was going to win the "Mom of the Year" award for my creativity. I worked a whole 10 minutes, which also made me to believe I would win an entirely separate award for my efficiency. Here is a good shot of my not-so-much masterpiece (the hat consists of yellow chicks and feathers):

However, when we arrived I realized that not only was I NOT going to win the prize but that I was probably going to take last place. I never imagined the competition in motherhood craft abilities would far exceed what I could ever conjure up. Here's an example of such creativity: (note the boy behind Carson)

However, I didn't let this bring me down. I was still quite proud of myself, until that is, the dangling eggs started nailing Carson in the eyes. Okay, so my creative realms are not vast, here's the proof (no he is not crying, just a little frustrated)
I guess experience takes the cake (this was our first one) and I hoped to say that next year Carson and I are going to rise to the challenge and blow the competition out of the water, but alas, we will remain true to ourselves; mediocre and in last place. For reason being, I am content with spending 10 minutes on my son's "bonnet" and my boy was thrilled with it and although the eggs were a bother at times, he was able to bounce back quickly. Maybe next year, I can at least move the dangling eggs pendulum out of eye range!

5 comments:

Becca said...

I think his 'bonnet' is quite cute and crafty. I have no idea what I would have been able to come up with . . making it cute but boyish.

Weston and William's Blog said...

I think it was adorable! Good for you!

Koch Clan said...

I think the bonnet you did was so cute. I love the hanging eggs. Carson looks so cute too.

Angie said...

Aaaaaah! I couldn't stop laughing. Every picture got funnier and funnier. Too cute.

leslie said...

love this post!! and the hat is fabulous!!!!! good job lindsay!!