As many of you know; Harvey and I have been struggling lately with not knowing where our future has been headed; that is assuming you can call a month a "future". Well we got news today, our future is calling us home.
We have had a whirlwind of emotions as we sat contemplating the decisions that need to be made over the next month. Where in Virginia should we live? Should we buy a home? Or should we rent? Where will the girls go to school? Which grade will they be in? How in the world are we going to work this all out in less than 4 weeks? We are sad to leave our new English friends, but excited to be closer to some of our old American ones. But no emotion we displayed could equal that of Savannah's when the news of our departure was given to her.
Her heartfelt tears she shed over leaving her best friend were enough to make us all cry. So to Savannah I devote the remainder of my post:
Dearest Savannah,
I write this to you because you are probably the most affected by our move back to the United States. I am sorry that you have to leave your friends and venture down a path that seems utterly scary right now. Your daddy has often quoted President Packer when he said,
"It is the moment when you have gone to the edge of the light and step into the darkness to discover that the way is lighted ahead for just a footstep or two.”
It is scary to step into the unknown. We have now moved 11 times and you have been there for 8 of them. I know it hasn't been easy and you have been amazing and supportive throughout all of it. I watched you as you shed your tears and I stand in amazement as you pick yourself up again and willingly move forward; trusting in your parents as you are once again pulled out of your comfort zone. We have no other choice Sav, we do this because we have to. Since we have no control over this, there truly is only one thing I can leave with you Savannah as you cope with the changes that are about to occur. And that is faith. There is only one person who could possibly love you more than your mom and dad. Your Heavenly Father is fully aware of your life. He is fully aware of the feelings that you are having. He will not leave you at a time like this, in fact, He is longing to console you. He wants you to be happy and I know Savannah if you put your trust in Him; we cannot fail. The path will not be easy; there is so much we are leaving behind. But when we arrive at the end of our journey we will find happiness.
You are the most capable little girl I have ever known. I truly believe, as Madison so eloquently stated, "Heavenly Father will guide us and lead us." I am sorry that we all must go through this Sav, but I do know it is right and when we do what is right we will be happy. We love you so much and we will always be there for you. And although this may give you little comfort right now one day you will appreciate it when we say, there is one friend who will never leave you. Whether you are in Japan, England or the USA, there is someone you can always count on, your adoring fan; your little sister Maddie.
Love,
Your mommy and daddy
Friday, December 05, 2008
We are homeward bound...
Posted by Scott Fam Dam at 8:28 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



14 comments:
I don't know what to say besides that was so sweet. How hard it must be on her, but how lucky she has such a wonderful family to take everywhere with her.
Welcome home :)
How exciting for all of us here in the states! It is usually hardest on those little ones but they are always so resilient. Having moved A TON growing up - I have to say it was hard but it was fun to have friends in so many places. Pen pals were the best!
If you think it's hard now, just wait about 5 years. I know from doing it myself as a teen and also from seeing Janet and other kids go through it. It's tough. I'm sure Savannah will eventually come to terms with it, though, and probably even love it in Virginia. We'll have to try to get together when we go out to visit Joseph and Tracy in Manassas.
I'm excited you are coming back to the States! My heart goes out to Savannah, I remember how hard it was for our 2 little ones each time we moved when Jim was in the Army, we always tried to make it an adventure, we'd research the new place we where going and all the wonderful things we could do when we got there.. Sometimes it made the move a little easier. Where in Virginia are you going?
we're going to miss you being in Loughborough!
Poor Sav!
We know you must feel somewhat relieved to finally know when and where you are going. And even though we all knew it was coming my heart still sank when I heard the news! We shall miss you all so much x x
I can't believe you are going so soon! It must be nice to be going 'home', but we will all miss you so much. What a lovely post to Savannah- you are so in tune with your kids needs and feelings.
Ooohhh! Virginia!? We'll be neighbors!
i am so jealous of all your moving around!! it all sounds exciting to me. tell sav she can come live with us in denver if she wants... elle would love a sister. :)
To Sav, Heavenly Father loves you so much and you have made friends in England you will have forever. I am sure you have been a wonderful influence on your friends. You are so special and loved by so many. Prays will be said for you and your family. Love Aunt Pam
Wow, that was quick! Can we still send a Christmas card to England? Sweet Savannah, this is a hard age to be moving.
We are so happy for you! We know what it is like moving around to different places (and we've only been doing it 3 years and in 2 countries!) We're glad you've found somewhere to "settle" - but for how long??? xx
We are sorry to see you leave, but we are sure you will be fine where ever you go, as you are such a friendly loving family you embrace those around you. It’s exciting that we will be able to keep up with what you are up to with your blog. X
Oh my heart hurts. This all brings back so many feelings of what Darby went through. Bethan also but she shows at all in different ways. Sometimes its tough being the oldest! Darby talks on Skype with her bestie from Ithaca who is now in Germany but over the yr it has gotten less and less. SAme for me too. I miss so many people but it can be tough keeping in contact. So.... beautiful post Linds, my heart goes out to you guys about to leave dear friends behind.
Post a Comment