Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Isle of Wight

On Friday November 13, 2008, we took a trip to the Isle of Wight.  Why the Isle of Wight?


Well there is a few different reasons actually.  The first being, it is a really cool island off the southern coast of England, which sits nicely in the English channel.  The second, it is slightly warmer than our Northern temperatures. And thirdly, my name.  

When my mom was growing up she often heard my Grandma and Grandpatalking about her cousins from England, one who was named Lindsey.  My mom instantly loved the name and decided to name her first born daughter, that's me, Lindsay. Changing the spelling to appease my father who had a slight Hollywood crush on Lindsay Wagner. Well, my mom's cousin Lindsey happens to live in the Isle of Wight, which is the main reason we ventured down there.

It is strange meeting family that is so removed from your own.  I believe Lindsey's children are my third cousins.  But what made it more interesting is how instantaneously we connected.  It truly was as if our Spirits had been reacquainted after a long years absence.  Introductions were pointless.  Even my children felt comfortable the moment we arrived.  Before we knew it we were letting ourselves in the door, and our children, which would make them 4th cousins, were having sleepovers.  

Lindsey had stacks and stacks of family history done.  I can't describe the excitement I felt when I sat reading of my Great, Great Grandfather and his conversion to the LDS church, and his trek over to America.  I was able to find out names of the missionaries that baptized him, anybody have a Grandfather named Moses Edwards that served in Ipswich, England?  I was able to find out the name of the river they were baptized in.  It is overwhelming to think of my ancestors that left there homeland to live on foreign soil and to connect with those feelings as I have done the same in leaving my home country and returning back to the land they once called home. I realize the significance of the location of Savannah's baptism as she is now the only one since my Great, Great Grandfather to be baptized in England.  And this is a fact on all branches of our family tree.  

I just want to thank Lindsey for her kindness, her love, and her hospitality.  I now value my name more in knowing that it derives from such a wonderful lady.  


Lindsey and her husband Phil, with their daughter Marie and her husband Paul (Of course not in that order, but hopefully you can connect who belongs to whom).

Sophie adored Rylie. It was nice having her take care of Rylie every now and then.

Here we are taking our first ferry ride. The kids loved it.

Here is Carson crying on the beach. He still hasn't gotten over the last time he was on it. If you don't know what I am talking about read this

This is Cory! He didn't like to smile, especially for the camera!

8 comments:

Becca said...

Such a cool experience! I love the picture of your family on the ferry - it's great!

HAVING THE TIME OF MY LIFE....... said...

That's cool. How fun to read the story of your relatives. It looked like an awesome day. I to loved the the family photo!

Mills Family said...

Linds, how neat that you were able to meet family and how special that Sav will be the first to be baptized in England since your ancestors left. That is awesome!

Ford Family said...

I didn't know you had family here- that's great, and great you were able to go and visit them.

Lesley-Ann said...

How wonderful to meet up with family that you have never seen before. Your Mum must be so excited that you got to see them.

Heather S said...

What a great thing. I am so glad that you were able to meet them while you live in England.
Your family picture on the ferry is fantastic. I love the big smile in front!

Michelle said...

Great pictures! The one of Carson on the beach hysterical! Poor little guy!

Unknown said...

Thank you Lindsay for asking about the geneology, your mother and I would never have done that duh! The Ilse of Wight is absolutely beautiful. How nice of you to make the trip. Now you know what we got to see. Love Aunt Pam