Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Happy 9th Birthday

Dear Savannah,

Today is your birthday. I can't believe you are 9 years old. It seems like just yesterday I held you in my arms for the very first time, only to have you poop all over me. How is that for a thank you for having just given birth?! Gratefully you don't have any inclination to do that anymore. But now as I snuggle next to you I look down at your long arms and skinny legs, your feet that are nearly as big as mine, your hair smelling of the outdoors as you have chased the boys all day at school, your black rimmed glasses, and your sweet blue eyes. I tend to wish back the years that have flown by so quickly, but not today. Today, I am in love with who you are and who you are turning into. I love that I have a 9 year old that reflects sweetness and love. I can't possibly long for the years that have passed when I have such a girl at present.

Savannah, I am so proud of who you are. Often people state that it is good parenting that makes you who you are, but I can honestly say you are one of those special children that under any circumstance would still be Savannah. Sweetness and kindness is innate for you.

I often get joy out of watching you with your siblings. When Carson is in his "mood" and neither myself nor your dad can get him to cooperate; in you come, and with your gentleness and kindness. Somehow you can melt him and break down his walls and magically get him to do whatever we need him to do. I love that one compliment from you can light up Madison's entire world. I love that you try to include her at all times. The other day one of your friends was having a party and they had one slot open and you offered up Madison's name as a possible attendee. I admire your maternal instincts as you care for Rylie and do those disgusting tasks like changing diapers.

I am amazed at your character. Your so mature in your thoughts and feelings. One day you gently urged me to keep my patience, "Mom what is wrong? Why are you so grouchy? And when I wasn't receptive you demanded to be treated with more respect, "That still gives you no right to talk to me that way!"

I love that you have the ability to "Stand for Truth and Righteousness". You already know how to listen to the Spirit and are willing to let it guide you in your actions and choices. You asked your teacher to church the other day because you were heeding the promptings of the Holy Ghost and although Sunday's were a busy day for her and she had to turn you down it pained her to do so. She came up to me feeling so bad that she had to let you down. You have that affect over many people. It is so hard to let you down.

Savannah, your dad and I love you so much. We are so grateful we have had 9 wonderful years to share with you. Please relish in these last years of your childhood. Be a child, be free from stereotypes and insecurities. Indulge in your imagination and have fun. These next few years will fly by and all too soon you will have to say goodbye to all the simple things. Happy Birthday my Savannah Banana and enjoy being 9; all too soon the double digits will hit you and after that they will never leave!

Love you so very much,

Mom

12 comments:

Mills Family said...

Happy birthday Sav. I can't believe you are 9. We lived above your mom and dad in Virginia. We remember holding you as a newborn. We also remember how Darrell would try and make you smile by pumping your legs back and forth really fast. It didn't make you smile but it made everyone who was watching smile. You have grown up so much! It is fun to hear how you are such a big helper to your mom and a wonderful and thoughtful sibling. Happy 9th. Make sure your parents spoil you rotten!

PS tell your mom that she has a gift with writing.

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday Sav! Me and Grandma got to come see you when you were a couple of days old and I can't believe that was nine years ago! Hope you had a great birthday and I hope you always stay as sweet as you are!

Hilarie said...

Lindsay, your posts are always so sweet, honest, and open. I am finally posting a comment, but have been touched by all I have read over the past few weeks. I sent you an invite to our blog. I debated whether or not to go private, but recently decided to do it.

Jessica said...

Wow, you really have a way with words. Savannah sounds like a gift from God. Thank-you for your example, you may not think that your parenting is the key to Savannah's sweetness but I always feel the spirit when I read your postings and I know you are an exceptional mother and a huge contributor to your children’s success. God must be happy when he looks down at you!

Debs said...

Ditto to Jessica's comments!! And happy birthday to Savannah - where did the past year go??? Sav - we love you - you are an example to us all x x x

Ford Family said...

What a lovely post- I was really touched when I read it. Happy Birthday Savannah.

Angie said...

Happy Birthday Sav! I cannot believe you are 9 years old! I miss you lots and love you tons! Hope you have a fantastic birthday!

leslie said...

this is so sweet linds... savannah will cherish this letter forever. elle is similar to sav in so many ways... maybe that's why she always gravitated toward her in ithaca. i wish we lived closer so they could be friends again. maybe someday. :)

Lesley-Ann said...

What a lovely post for Savannah to treasure. Before you know it the next 9 years will come and go and you will be sending her off to college and then another 9 years will probably see her married with children of her own. Our first born Aaron turns 27 next week!

kat reynolds said...

Nine!?! Crazy. I remember when we would visit you when you were pregnant with her at four winds. She sounds like a great kid! Happy Birthday Savannah!

Church Family said...

We love Savannah!!! What a wonderful girl she is. We hope she had a great birthday. Lyns, fantastic post. Didn't plan on crying at 12pm on a Monday. Thanks for that. ;)
Miss you

Bron Williams said...

hi lindsay
i check in on your blog everynow and then
today i thought i needed seme uplift so i wnet ot your blog
bought tears to my eyes..so thansk for the love...twas lovely to read and remember our blessings..our children
happy bday to yuor special girl
:)bron williams