Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Sister Missionary


One day I was sitting and mulling my thoughts over and over and stressing about everything when suddenly I remembered the bravery and more importantly the faithfulness of a little girl...

One day a little girl named Savannah came home from school. She had something important she felt she needed to discuss with her mother. She decided the quickest and surest way of finding her was to go towards the sounds of the crying toddler; knowing that it was this noise that beckons her mother from any room in the house.
She found her mom trying to ease her baby sisters crying rage. She went alongside her to try to help and soon her sister settled and went off to play with the other children. Savannah realized this was her moment to talk with her mom and unload all the thoughts that have been dominating her mind lately. "Mom," she said, "I have had this feeling lately that I need to ask my teacher to church. This thought comes into my head so much and I am not sure why."

Surprised by a little girl having such a prompting her Mom immediately turned towards Savannah. "Wow Sav, that is amazing! That is exactly how the Holy Ghost speaks to us. I believe it is the Holy Ghost telling you, you need to ask your teacher to church!"

"Yeah, I thought that was what was happening," was Savannah's nervous reply. "I am kind of nervous about asking her though."

"Sav this is one of the most wonderful things about prayer. When we feel scared to do something we know is right, we can pray for courage."

"I am not sure when I can do it though. There are always people around her," Savannah anxiously replied.

"We can pray for that too. We can pray for the opportunity and we can pray that we will know when that opportunity has come."

Not entirely sure if she felt better she gave her mom a quick response, "Okay I will pray tonight," and she galloped off hoping some TV would relieve her concerns.

That night she prayed. She prayed to know if this is what she was supposed to do, and for the right opportunity to do it.

The following day Savannah came running out of her classroom in an excited hurry. When she found her mom she exclaimed, "Mom!!! I did it, I asked my teacher. I was so scared but I did it! I had a chance when all the kids were gone and I took it! I asked her mom, I really did it!"

Savannah and her mom walked away from the school. Savannah feeling weightless and proud and her Mom feeling overwhelmed by her daughters courage to do what even most adults fear; that is, to do what is right, even when you're scared and unsure of what the outcome will be.

As I am reminded of my daughters' courage and faith I realize that though these times for our family are filled with uncertainty, I will proceed with courage. I will have the courage to take that giant step forward into the unknown. I will have the faith that the Lord knows what is best for our family. Each one of us our placed so delicately near his heart.

13 comments:

HAVING THE TIME OF MY LIFE....... said...

What a great story. It is amazing how little children can be so brave and so excited about sharing. She is definitely a stripling warrior.

Debs said...

I absolutely loved reading this. What a special young lady Savannah is, and how proud you must have felt x x x

Heather S said...

What a sweet girl with such a deep heart and deep understanding.

Lesley-Ann said...

Oh my what courage, which I lack along with faith so often, well done Savannah x

Chelsea Parsons said...

what a kid hey! What did her teacher say?

Rine Family said...

What a wonderful experience to have at such a young age. I'm so glad she followed the promting of the Spirit and ask her teacher. I'll check back later to see what her teacher said. I hope she said "YES"

Ford Family said...

What a great story- kids can make us so proud. Did the teacher say yes?

Koch Clan said...

I totally had goosebumps reading that. Way to go Sav! That is so special that she felt the promptings to do that and went through with it.

Angie said...

That is the cutest story. I just love that girl, she is so sweet. What did her teacher say back?

Jessica said...

What a beautiful story. I remember having the same sort of courage. It is amazing how quickly that child like faith can disapear and be replaced by fear.
When Jesus asks us to be a little children he is talking about children like your Savannah. Without your example Savannah would never have asked her teacher to church. You are an exceptional mother I pray that one day my children may demonstrate such acts of righteousness.

Hayley said...

What a brave girl! I wish I could be more like that - I always thought it would be easier when I got older but I sometimes think it's worse =) What was the reaction from her teacher? What did she say?

Church Family said...

Lyns what a daughter you have. I love that you think to share your kids wonderful spirits with the rest of us. I love little Sav. She will always have such a special place in my heart as Elias's first friend that he could not stop talking about and loved to be with.

Dem, Mem and Them said...

Way to go Savannah! You have inspired me to follow a prompting of my own! What a great girl!