Today is the big day. Are there perks to living abroad during election year? Well I certainly don’t get caught up in the media’s bias. I don’t get caught up in what the US population views as political correctness. I have to do my own research and form my own opinions.
Lately I have been reading friends’ views and opinions on Proposition 8. I have not really thought anything about it until recently. I have been surprised to read members of the church’s opinions about Proposition 8 and their irritation towards the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints involvement. From their views I have decided to come out of my ignorant bliss and gain knowledge on this subject and why it directly affects me and why the church feels it is so important. I decided to do some research. I read several articles both for and against the Church’s stance. After much research, and thought, it suddenly became clear.
First of all, the leaders of our church are asking its members to do something. When have I ever doubted it or questioned it before? The leaders of our church are calling its members to action, why then, would I not act? If the leaders asked us to pack up and move to Missouri, I can ensure more members would be willing to listen their leaders then. Or would they?
So why does Proposition 8 matter? Who cares if two gay people want to get married? The media has turned this into a case of bigotry and hatred. As far as I knew our church has always taught to Love One Another. And I believe it remains true to that. The Church isn’t asking us to hate, it is asking us to protect.
However, I am not one to be led blindly and the Church has never been one to ask its members to do so. So after my RESEARCH, I PRAYED and I CONTEMPLATED. Through this experience I have come to agree with my Church leaders and I will stand behind them. I trust that they know more than I do, they are educated men and women in the Gospel and they know the future circumstances of our nation.
I plead with you to have faith in your church leaders, do as they have asked, and more importantly PRAY about it, do not be led blindly FROM EITHER SIDE, form an opinion based on prayer and if that is not enough then fasting as well. It is that serious.
This may give you clarification on why the Church has decided to step forward.
http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/commentary/the-divine-institution-of-marriage
Tuesday, November 04, 2008
Proposition 8
Posted by Scott Fam Dam at 1:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



12 comments:
The surest sign of a strong family is one where opinions and feelings can be aired in an environment of love, and where debates are constructive and respectful. That said, while I always respect your opinions and insights, I must, in this regard, civilly disagree. Social equality and justice are a goal that we as Americans must always seek. Peace and harmony are integral to that goal. As marriage falls under the domain of the State, the denying of it to otherwise law abiding citizens is simply discrimination. Now, to be fair, I fervently believe that this is not the Church’s intent; indeed, as you say, the Church is not asking us to hate. But, in this regard, the intent has to be viewed along with effect, and that effect has already been shown to be one that promotes disharmony. It has torn good families apart. It allows for an environment of bigotry and discord. I cannot support any action that seeks to deny rights to Americans. And it must be remembered that as marriage requires State issued licenses and results in certain legal obligations and rights, marriage can no longer be exclusively considered a religious institution.
I do not lament the Church’s foray into the political arena. I think that there are very real, very tangible, things that do harm families today and would love to see the Church exercise its political muscle in this capacity: universal and affordable healthcare, addressing domestic abuse, and improving the quality of education worldwide. On a global scale, the Church might address the environmental crisis that has resulted in over two and a half billion of God’s children without access to clean water; an atrocity that kills over 2 million very young children a year. And one could easily site disease, genocide. And while it will be fairly argued that the Church has supported social issues like this-one need look no further than aid lovingly given to victims of hurricanes and tsunamis-nevertheless, nothing-nothing-has been similarly promoted with the vigor and zeal of Proposition 8.
I emphatically agree with your appeal to prayer, fasting and thoughtful research. Always I appreciate your opinions, your faith and your honesty. My own faith and understanding have simply led me to a different conclusion. And yet, the real beauty of America is manifest here in that the ultimate decision lies with the American voter. I cannot ever pass up an appeal for everyone to vote!
Holy Cow! I'm not going to write a novel like Brad, all I'm going to say is I can't wait for today to be over with! Then we can all move on with our lives. Although I am going to miss Brad's face turning purple from the anger of discussing it! It's quite fun to watch actually. Go Lindz!
"...nothing-nothing-has been similarly promoted with the vigor and zeal of Proposition 8."
It must be more important than we can possibly know. The Church does so much in the communities of the world and never makes such services known. For the church to suddenly become outspoken on levels it never before has only strengthens the importance for me. For it to take such a stance knowing it was going to possibly seperate its members on such an issue only tells me again how important this issue is.
It is not an Institution that is asking its members to do this, it is the leaders. It is the living Prophet of God and his Apostles.
P.S. Happy to know you are reading my blog Brad!
I do read your blog! I only comment to complain, though. (10 things I love about Angie? Seriously? What am I, hmmm? hehehe) I respect your opinions but must submit only that Living Prophet's have erred before. They are indeed men. I have my reasons for thinking so and I came to my decisions thoughfully and respectfully. Yet rather than bloviate incessantly (which you know I could, hehehe), we'll have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.
I'll get you started...10 things I Love about Brad: #1 He's not one to let a topic rest; relentlessly hammering it into the ground until the very Earth cries out in agony.
I love you Brad, you are indeed my most favorite brother! Have fun voicing all your opinions today as you get to take part in the great American priviledge, vote, vote, vote!!!
I am totally 100% for civil union. I do agree thought that marriage is between a man and a woman. It is sometimes hard for me to see that it is bad for gay people because I really don't care. But I understand as I have researched it and I know what I believe to be true. Thanks for writing this. It was thoughtful without being so judemental.
I am a friend of Harvey's. I check your thoughts occassionally. This week I have recieved some hate mail in regard to my feelings on this issue. I appreciate so much your willingness to carefully and respectfully share your view. I don't know Brad but I also want to thank him for his respectful words. I say respectful simply because though there is a difference in your views...there was no hate. My heart is heavy because of the seperation of humans at this time, yet we have been promised that these days were on their way. I honor you for openly offering your soul onto your computer screen, and I honor your family for loving one another through them with respect.
The scripture D&C 30:11 comes to mind for you.
Amy
This is from your dear sweet dad who normally doesn't get involved with many issues. I am not one to question the authority of the church and I have always had faith in the teachings and there concern for us. Even though I don't necessarily practice the teachings by taking on the assignment of going to my meetings. In the case of proposition 8 I'm sorry to disagree with you my dear smart son but I can't see how we can support this type of social equality and I am of the opinion that we should discriminate when it comes to this issue. I know that's bigotry but so be it. You know the church normally doesn't get involved with political issues and try to exercise their muscle. But when it comes to issues that are morally, ethically and against all things that are religious and down right wrong they should get involved. And so should we. Love ya all. ps sorry for the spelling.
I really appreciate this post Lindsay. I had heard little about 'proposition 8' but your post and the link to the church article enlightened me a lot more. Sadly same sex marriage is legal in England but I have to say I didn't think it would happen in America. I have to say I totally agree with you because the church rarely comes out and makes and stand on issues. I also know that Lord has never and will never allow one of his prophets to lead us astray or ask us to do anything that Lord does not want us to do. Some church leaders have and will probably continue do some things that are not right, but not the Lords prophet. I think everyone should read the article on the church site to know just what the implications are if this law goes through, it is scary.
You put that so well Lindsay. You know how I feel about this and all that you wrote is spot on in my opinion. I don't see it as a restriction of rights. In fact, opposing this would create a major "rights" issue. Including our freedom of speech and religion rights. It's a hard place to be right now, with all of the differences between peers. Especially between church memebers. It's really not bigotry, and I hate that that term is used, it's seriously just protecting what marriage is and what it was designed to be.
In the end I feel safer following those who are closest to God. They know more. Thanks for putting your thoughts so eloquently.
It's a tough issue. Can I move to England and live in the countryside with you?
Lindsay,
THank you for your post. That same proposition was on the ballot here in Arizona last week as well and it was a powerful experience for us to rally together and vote for an issue so important and see our power in numbers. I love your thoughtful words. Because that is exactly what we need to be.
I love what your friend wrote "in the end I feel safest following those who are closest to God."
Post a Comment