Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Why I love Utah...



I once read this quote:

“We can only appreciate the miracle of a sunrise if we have waited in the darkness”

Before I thought of this quote figuratively, since I am positive that is the way it was intended to be perceived. However, lately I feel as though this can be taken somewhat to a literal level. During English winters it gets dark around 4:00pm and I would say the sun then reveals itself once again at 8:00am, however, I am uncertain of this because the sun doesn't shine in England. I can only base this theory of sunrise on assumption. My sense of night and day is contingent on whether or not I can see the dark overcast skies vs. seeing a pitch-black sky.

However, I have found a new appreciation for spring. Although the flowers, the blossoms and the birds singing (I would add new found warmth, but we have yet to receive that aspect of spring) are just a few of the beauties of spring. I have learned that waking up to the sun penetrating through the windows is also a sign that spring is here in the UK.


I must admit as I feel the sun on my face (only feeling it through the window, for if it was from outside my face at this point would be frozen), I naturally think of home. After having lived in many places where the sun shines; my sentiments this time are of home. At each place we have resided, whenever the sun beams down I think of Utah.

For those of you, who haven't been to Utah; let me enlighten you. Ohhh, Utah, where the sun shines, regardless of the time of year. If it be winter, there is nothing more beautiful than seeing the snow sparkle like diamonds as the sun infiltrates the sky. In Utah it is a rarity if the sun isn't shining. If it be summer, appeasement can be found in the beautiful mountains and canyons that surround you.

With Utah, being in fact, a desert state; summer can be hot and the sun may be overwhelming at times; yet you can bury yourself amongst the trees high in the Wasatch mountains. I usually forget how majestic and beautiful the mountains are until I fly into Utah and have a perfect view from overhead. Although I have learned from having lived in Virginia and having lived near the jungles of Japan; that Utah is lacking in trees. But there is nothing that can match the granite rock of Mount Timpanogos with the Rocky Mountain Juniper, the Bristlecone Pine, and the Blue Spruce intermingled. The best thing of all is that it is so accessible. A few minutes drive and you are in such beauty.

I am perfectly aware that England is a beautiful place, however, exploring it can be difficult unless you are willing to get rained on, muddy, and willing to be spontaneous. You should here my cry as I spot the sun emerging from behind the clouds. "Quick kids, grab your coats, the sun is out, time for a big dose of vitamin D kids! Run! Hurry!"

I have accepted the fact that Utah may never again be a place I will reside. However, it will always be my home. Home is where your thoughts turn to as you experience a happy moment. And without a doubt over the last few days of sun that we have had here, I have often found myself thinking of Utah's warmth and topography and longing to once again be exploring the great outdoors.

Please don't think I have given up on England. I do find it hard at times to have hope in summer perspiration, yet I will remain faithful to my dear British friends promises that the sun will shine again and powerful enough to shed some warmth. And when it does, there will be no doubt I will once again find my thoughts turning to Utah; my home!

10 comments:

Koch Clan said...

Let me tell you, Utah stinks right now! It has been horrible weather lately which I am sure your family has told you. But it is getting nicer this weekend and yes I have noticed the sun does shine a lot here. I actually like Seattle where it is overcast a lot. Maybe we should trade spots! I hope it gets warmer for you soon. I am dying to send the kids outside too!

Scott Fam Dam said...

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side!

Ford Family said...

Even though I am English through and through- I totally agree with you! The weather can be awful at times- totally unpredictable- ( we just had snow in April) and when you have young kids, really makes a difference to how the day goes! England has many beautiful things to offer, but sunshine is generally not one of them. Although as I write this- as if to prove the fact that it is totally unpredictable here- the sun is streaming through the windows-10 minutes ago I called the kids in from outside as there were big dark clouds, and it was starting to rain!

Church Family said...

Lyns,
What a beautiful post. I remember one visit home in particular where it was early summer and my mom and i had gone for a walk in the morning(you know those awesome summer mornings in Utah). I kept commenting over and over to my mom how beautiful it was and how homesick i was for utah without quite realizing the extent and she told me a sweet little quote that i can try to repeat the gist(sp) of. She said, "God created a beautiful world with many magnificent places yet he knew that our hearts were small so he made one place more dearer then them all and that is home.

Chelsea Parsons said...

he he!!!! I know England! But enjoy your time there, I have loved living in so many different places... so many great experiences. But I do love those Utah mountains and home is always home!

Weston and William's Blog said...

awwww, this post sure made me miss the west. Thanks for sharing!

Debs said...

Yes, don't give up on us!! We are so used to our mixed bag of weather here. When the sun does shine we make the most of it and England in sunshine in Spring and Summer really is glorious. I do wish it stayed for longer though and we could bank on it and plan fun outdoor activities....that would be fab!
(By the way, the Winter I stayed in Orem was so snowy and grey, but the locals exclaimed that it was very unusual not to have blue skies - but when Spring came the sun and warmth stayed and stayed and stayed ;-) x x

Lesley-Ann said...

Hey Lindsey I know what you mean about the weather in Utah, although the weather can be unpredictable there and they do get grey wet days, they do get a lot of blue skys and sunshine.
I don't know why but I can't see the photo on that block and would really like to, as i'm sure it's a beautiful one of the mountains or something.

Margaret said...

It has been a long, dark, cold winter here, too. It has snowed twice this week and then just stays overcast the rest of the time. I agree--it's time for spring!

Heather S said...

Oh Utah...last week I was getting ready to go jogging and checked the temperature only to find that it was a lovely 28 degrees...I was definately missing Utah. 28 degrees here turns my jogging bum into frozen hams....AND Laura your quote made me tear up...I guess that that is just the way things are...you have a fond spot for the place you were raised. I even get emotionaly when I see views of SLC on the national news. My hits on realtor.com always peak during February and March. :)BUT...it is a whopping 61 degrees this morning and the grass is getting green...Kelli is out on the trampoline....I think we will hit a park today! Yeah for spring!