Thursday, August 27, 2009

Beguiling Brother


Yesterday Carson and Rylie were playing in their bedroom. I was routinely putting away laundry so I went into join them. As my back was turned to their closet I overheard Carson whispering in his little sisters ear,

"Rylie, say, 'I don't like you!' Okay Rylie, can you say that?"

Curious as to what he might be up to and having an idea, I thought I would make my task of putting clothes away last a bit longer so I could watch his plans unfold.

So Rylie then whispers back in the same quiet tone as her brothers, "I don't like you."

"No Rylie, you need to say it louder, can you say it louder?" Carson urges her on.

So she dutifully blurts out in her very largest voice possible, "I don't like you!"

Carson then reacts immediately seeing that his plan was in swinging motion he declares, "Mom did you hear her? Did you hear what she said to me? She said she didn't like me! Did you hear that mom?"

Naturally I voice his plan had been foiled by a very smart mommy and let him know how terribly wrong it was to do what he did, but as I walked out of their room and turned the corner a smile played at my lips. Sneaky little devil.:)

But then shortly afterwards it occurred to me. How often does he actually do this and get away with it?

Oh dear, my sweet boy has just made this parenting thing much more difficult. Now I need to add to my many hats and titles as a mother, "Interrogator, Out to Seek Truth and Justice!"

7 comments:

Angie said...

That is a very funny story. I can just picture Carson saying that:)

England Family said...

Little Monkey!!! I remember my sister doing the same thing to me when I was little! That is so funny!

Chelsea Parsons said...

he he he he ..... ohhh dear. They are all so different hey! Just when you think you have them figured out, a new "thing" comes along!!!! Im loving the puberty questions we are dealing with right now!!!! They need a brother!

Chelsea Parsons said...

oh and they will NEVER have a brother!!!!

The Richeys said...

hahaha! It must be difficult to tell off one as sweet as Carson though? Look at that picture! Handsome kid! Funny story Linds!

Michelle said...

I can totally picture his face as he is tattling on her. I love it!!

Erica Johnston said...

I'm so glad I'm not alone as a mother of sneaky little thangs!