Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Our Unexpected Guests

While we were away for 5 weeks we had a few visitors that liked our place so much they decided to take up residency.

The kids discovered them and informed Harv and I by running into the house telling us that someone had built us a birdhouse! A little curious Harvey went out for a little look-see and discovered that the birdhouse was in fact a very large and very intimidating hornet hive.

As beautiful and unbelievable as it may be we want them gone. They are the bald-face hornets and they are aggressive (what a great mascot they would make!) I was so freaked out just in taking these pictures that while I snapped my last one a hornet buzzed in my ear and me and my fat self took off running like a stampede of elephants! I would say like a Jaguar or a leopard or something cool like that but with my large belly; elephant is just more fitting!





12 comments:

Mills Family said...

Yikes! My belly and I would be stampeding with you.

Michelle said...

At least you ran! Me and my fat self would have tried to WALK as fast as I could without getting killed. That thing is huge!!

HAVING THE TIME OF MY LIFE....... said...

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha,ha

England Family said...

Wow! That is huge! That would scare me to death!

Anonymous said...

WOW Linds!! That is scarey! I am just glad that your "stampede" didn't made the hornets made. :) No but seriously...I'm glad nobody got hurt! Love ya! Mandi

Mandy said...

I had to chuckle as I read that. Thank you. I'm picturing what I would look like running and I'm quite sure it would resemble an elephant too.

That's one impressive hive.

Angie said...

To scary for me to take a picture. I would have used my pepper spray, I have come to find out that works magical when killing unwanted insects:)

The Richeys said...

Hahahaha! How did they build that thing so quickly - what the heck!? That's so scary! Get your self a bug man and don't go back there till you have!!

Ford Family said...

That is scary! I am impressed you took a picture! I would have made someone else do it, or used a super zoom, so I could stay as far away as possible! How are you getting rid of it? How far along are you by the way? do you know what you are having yet??

Debs said...

that is awesome - this takes me back to my childhood which was spent in the summer, largely tormenting hornets and wasps nests, building traps etc for them. In all my years though I never saw a hive as big. This is wicked. I am quite jealous. This too like your last post is "nature at its best". Hornets are really cool creatures!

Even American Hornets seem to do things bigger and better!!!

You might want to ask your neighbour to count his bees too!

Can you send harvey on an expodition to catch one and take close up pics of it.

Lets see that belly too!!!!

Love Dan

Heather S said...

That is one big hive! If one buzzed in my ear I would have done the same thing....except with some high-pitched girl screaming. :)

Anonymous said...

To think I walked by that tree several times while mowing. Yikes!