I have birthed animal lovers. Each and everyone of them are entirely opposite of me not only in looks but in the very fact that they crave an animal to call their own. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike animals. I just find their habits and smells a bit disgusting. I think a dog licking my face is a bit repulsive and a cat slinking along my legs nothing but hive causing and allergy disposing. A bird is too messy and its screeches are headache rendering, and reptiles cause me to feels the creeps throughout my entire body. Maybe it is being subjected to "poop scooping" at such a young age, or the allergies that they cause me to be in a state so debilitating the mere presence of a furry thing frustrates me.
Whichever the cause, my opinion stays true. I do not want any pets. If I want to look at my animal kingdom friends I will gladly go to a zoo or for that matter gaze out on my acreage where the deer, fox, wild turkey and hedgehog play daily.
But there is one slight hiccup in my plans to never domesticate my bestial buddies...I have married a man with farming in his blood. Don't let his debonair demeanor and his pin strip suits fool you. He is determined to take what he can of this nearly 4 acre piece of land and fill it with a smallish farm. In his sights he sees goats, horses, chickens, and of course a dog named Jack that Carson so desperately desires. Not much as you can see; he has after all, had to negotiate with his wife who refuses to participate in taking care of farm animals. I will have my own farm of 5 children to tend to in the house, what need do I have of more?
So Harvey is excited and his plans are underway. For proof we have received our first partially welcomed farm animal or as all of my children are stating, PET. They introduce them as our pets, they tell the tales of their pets, and any chance they get they are being caught looking at their pets. I must admit my cold-heart is turning warm as I watch these cute little furry things, and my heart melts as I watch how tenderly the children are caring for them. Savannah is up at the crack of dawn to tend to their needs and stand watch over them. I believe she sees it as a few steps closer to getting her horse.!
Friday, August 21, 2009
The Pet
Posted by Scott Fam Dam at 6:24 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






5 comments:
I am totally with you on the pet issue- we had a cat for a few months last year, and that was all I could handle before giving it to the neighbour! Stick to your guns! Don't let them wear you down! Although I have to admit, those chicks are pretty cute!
Lindsay- I love love love your stories- and your kids are as hilarious as you are! So glad to have a little lindsay back in my life!
I'm with you on the dog issue, having grown up with a cat I'd like one some day but I don't feel any need to have an animal in my home yet! But those chicks.....they are gorgeous!! I'd love to have chickens one day....
Cute little chicks! I have a picture of me and my dad stroking some baby chicks when I was about 4. Your pictures took me right back. Maybe all men feel a need at sometime to make their mark on the land. Maybe it's about being self reliant. I don't know - what I do know is that Mike would be right along side Harvey on this one. He'd mostly love fruit and veg and what ever animals he could get away with! If they all stayed as babies I'd have no problems with that at all, but grown up poopeys are too much for me!
I love this! Totally agree on the pet thing. I successfully convinced my boys that pets just mean work, but I know that my daughter will break me down someday. Just because I know how much she loves animals and I see how happy it makes her. Already she knows the names of every dog in our neighborhood, and I'd hate to see her if she imagined the possibility of a horse.
Post a Comment