Thursday, July 24, 2014

And why not another?...

We are so close to finishing all our miles for our Children's Marathon so we decided to pack the last of them into another hike.  This time it was Stewart Falls.  I loved this hike as a kid and couldn't wait to share it with my kids.  I grabbed a few friends and we all headed up the mountain.  This one was probably the most difficult one for Emma so far.  The rest of the kids did this like champs, I do believe hiking with friends makes the difference here.  Emma's special friend on this hike was mom, so she felt it wise to share with me all her grievances.  From start to finish I got an ear full.  It wasn't until I convinced Emma that the Emma bird was trying to talk with her that she finally lightened up.  As we were hiking in absolute beauty we heard a bird loud and clear.  I quickly told Emma to talk back, now to fully understand this you have to know that Emma just recently taught herself how to whistle.  She has practiced and practiced to fine tune those little lips of hers all summer long.  So she broke out into whistle and gratefully enough the bird whistled back and Emma was officially convinced she was the ultimate bird whisperer.  We quickly named it the Emma bird and from then on whenever she commenced whining I would distract by telling her we can't hear the Emma bird let's talk to her and see if she is still around.  And the whistling would commence.  Quite brilliant if I do say so myself.  I wont mention that this spark of creativity didn't come until after I threatened to leave her on the mountain!:)



0 comments: