Monday, July 07, 2014

Kicking off the summer the right way

We are having one of the best summers so far and I am dying to journal.  It's been awhile since I felt the need to journal anything but this has been one of those summers I just don't want to ever forget.

We kicked off the summer in the best fashion...Madison and I ran the "Girls on the Run 5K" and while we were there we helped them with our new Promotional Video for Girls on the Run Utah.  Both of us were interviewed.  It was awesome.  Madison went to the race with the decision being made that she was not going to run.  She has this knee problem and every time she trains for these races her knee pops out and in and results in painful swelling.  But the girl just couldn't help but feel the overall excitement and about 2 min after the gun went off she decided she wanted to run.  I am glad she did.  We took it nice and slow and learned to listen to our body.  But we were still able to get in the experience of the completing our goal.

I love this girls spirit of determination.  She is a bit crazy like her mom and can let the spirit of the competition override her logic.  But you just can't beat that feeling of pushing your body to it's limits and succeeding.  At the very end of the race there is a downhill run into the finish line.  We were approaching it and she told me she probably should walk the downhill and into the finish line because her knee was hurting.  She asked what she should do.  I told her she could do the right thing and listen to her body or the crazy thing and sprint to the finish line.  She asked what I would do and I answered, "Well Madison I am crazy!"  Right then she sprinted, all the while yelling back at me, "I guess I am crazy too!"  Love this girl!  She finished strong and after some ice she felt as good as new!



0 comments: