Monday, July 07, 2014

And the mighty shall fall...again

It's quite hard to explain what took down the mighty giant this time.  We thought at first it was yet another kidney stone, then we figured maybe his hip joint, then onto his S-joint, then we landed on pinched nerve.  We settled into that notion for quite awhile but 2 expensive MRI's, 1 x-ray, a visit to the physical therapist, several to the Chiropractor, three to a general practitioner and from there on to an orthopedic surgeon we were finally left with a diagnosis of herniated disc pushing up against a nerve.  However, although we knew the diagnoses we were left without any cure.

This experience was not only frustrating in every sense of the word from not knowing a diagnosis to dealing with intense insurmountable pain but it was disheartening and depressing.  Harvey has been defined much of his life as an athlete.  When that is taken away from you and you are left somewhat debilitated it can bring even the most positive and mentally sound down.

One day in particular I could sense he was feeling depressed...after weeks of dealing with chronic pain he was beginning to be unbearably cranky.  Grouching at everyone left and right, not being able to enjoy much in life, missing out on everything the kids and I were doing it was starting to take it's toll and I was beginning to feel helpless towards his cause.

It was then that I urged Harvey to receive a blessing.  From there that urging turned into persistence.  I felt as though I grabbed two men and Harvey and threw them into a room together and said "Now GO!"  I am sure it was much more gentle than that but the Spirit was overwhelming me and I knew this was the course of action that needed to be taken.

In the blessing Harvey was told his injuries would not be healed through medicine but through faith.  Disclaimer here: I know that this isn't the case with all suffering.  But in this case and in this trial Harvey needed to be taught the valuable lesson of healing through faith.  Apparently we all did.  For as he and myself and our children have fasted and prayed we have watched the healing process take action.  A miracle?  Some might say coincidence...but the Scott's know better.  We were told as plain as day, that through our faith he would be healed.  So we applied it.  As we have done so our hearts have changed for the better.  I can attest that miracles do happen in the most unusual ways.  Not only has Harvey begun to heal but all our hearts have changed.  Empathy has taken over, we have developed an understanding of the weak and sick and the fallen, our hearts are softened.  God has given us unbelievable bodies that are capable of so much but he has also given us hearts and minds.  He can heal both, I do believe that with all my heart.  What an amazing experience.  And although Harvey has a long way to go in the healing process his heart has been filled with hope.  And for that I am grateful.


0 comments: