I have learned a few things about the English culture since we have been here. One thing in particular is the talk of the weather is a constant conversation. Or it could be a constant with me because I am constantly complaining about it. Today as I was walking the girls to school in a downpour of rain, I overheard a woman say, "It is going to be raining like this for a fortnight!" Now for those of you who don't know, I fortnight is about 2 weeks. Yes, you read right, two weeks, straight we will have rain. Is this unusual, you ask? The answer, not in the year I have lived here.
As I did the bi-yearly switch out with the children's clothes, there are two things that run across my mind. One, it is August 30th...and two, they only wore their summer clothes for 4 weeks (4weeks which were spent in Utah). Suddenly life seems unfair. I start to feel my heart get heavier. I look down at my own ensemble; sweat pants, a long sleeved t-shirt, and my favorite fluffy socks from Costco. Again the thought comes, it is August!
As I begin to dread the long wet winter that is looming ahead. I make a plea...there is no doubt the weather affects my mood. When it rains, day after day and daylight is only present for 7 hours, I begin to reflect inside what the weather is portraying outside. Dark, and dreary. So as I gear up, I do so with preparation. I prepare by searching for external ways to cheer myself up for winter days. So here in lies my plea. Does anyone know ways in which we can change our environment to make us happy? Certain smells, candle scents that can make you happy? I love music, what are your happiest songs? Do you have creative ways that help you stay happy? Motivated? And Energetic? I make this plea to all whom read this blog, please state your creativity and knowledge. I need all the help I can get.
And this will be my final complaint about the weather. I know I have done my fair share of whining and my dear British friends have suffered alongside me and have endured all those complaints and criticism and for that I am deeply sorry. So this will be the last grievance towards the depressing weather. Which is why I will now be needing all the help I can get!!!




15 comments:
I love the winter! The only thing I don't love is when winter starts in August (but sometimes we have to get used to that! =( I love winter because it brings the cold, crisp mornings, and the dark evenings when you can sit in by the fire with a blanket and mug of hot chocolate while the wind and rain beat against the window. Its also the season that leads us to my favourite time of year - Christmas! So bring on the winter! xx
Lindsay, I feel you babe...see...we're not British....we don't have to put on a stiff upper lip...we can complain about what we don't like! We are equally as praising about the things we love. So, RAIN RAIN GO AWAY!!!!
Yucky! Oh how I remember Vancouver. Is it as bad? How about making bath salts and having home spa treatments. A little oatmeal on the face some cucumbers. Or bustin' out the sewing machine and make aprons for all of your kids and get to cookin'. I'm gonna be thinkin'. Hang in there. What about writing a play and having the kids preform it. Alright, alright I'll stop.
I miss Seattle for many reasons one of them is the rain. I LOVE it! I enjoyed the couple months of sunshine but was ready for the rain to come back in September. Want to switch places?
When it rains think of all the snow that we will be having in a couple of months. The shoveling and sliding on the ice and mom and dad's driveway. That will make you happy that it's just rain. Maybe. Probably not though. Wouldn't make me feel better either. Sorry!
Linsday, have you heard the new song "Viva la Vida" by Coldplay? I discovered it this summer while in the states and I blast it all day long in the car or at home. over and over, much to the dismay of my kids. It is energetic and happy. If you don't know this song, you need to get it!! good luck, I hate rain too.
Easy there jakumbus. A stiff upper lip and positive thinking are qualities to be admired!
ahhh Linds! its tough hey! When we lived in the Falklands it was cold just about ALL year. When summer did rock around it only ever got to about 20 celcius! Take a holiday to somewhere warm! Tasmania perhaps! get some exercise every day, make crafty pretty things, stick paper flowers on your window! Decorate the house with Halloween stuff....stay busy babe!
Scott...it's Kayla. I got your blog through Tami Chandlers links. Hey what's up. Your family is getting so big..I had not idea you had 2 more kids. Yeah. I am happy for you. If you would like access to my family blog just e-mail me at nelson_b@att.net..let's chat
I hope you don't mind me reading your blog I just think you are so entertaining.
A couple of things that helped me when I was back home were displaying pictures of summer, landscapes of beautiful places and use color in home decor.
I was reading a talk by Hilary Weeks and she had this great idea: use everyday signs like traffic signs to send signals to yourself. For example chose something that you struggle with, in your case "staying optimistic with the weather" and choose a traffic sign that can help you-a STOP sign. Decide what you want the message to be, perhaps: stop and think of 2 things you are greatful for. I love this, everytime is see traffic signs I am reciving little messages or encouragements that distract me from being down or depressed.
Hope these help.
Lyns,
Hey I never got to tell you what a wonderful time we had visiting you and your family.You all have so much to offer the world. Who knows maybe that weather is shaping some of those offerings for good...like all that rain keeps you indoors and able to blog and develop that wonderful talent for writing you have!!! I promise to post lots of blue sky on my blog to cheer you up. Miss you
oh and 2 more things. buy mamma mia when it comes out on dvd. nothing like a good happy dvd with lots of silly back-up singers to make you happy. bride and prejudice is a good one for that as well. also, i love to get lost in creative blogs. i start with one like design mom and then go from there. lots of fun creativity going on out there and i know you have lots and lots of that.
Okay, I hear ya. I would be freaking out right now. But you're Lindsay Scott, tough-chick, awesome mom, full of power and you can conquer winter in August.
First and foremost, MUSIC. Happy music. Put your ipod or whatever in the kitchen and blast it loud when you start to feel sluggish. Then dance around like a crazy person and make your kids do it too. Dress up, do crafts, make fun foods, don't forget to exercise for those endorphins and blog lots so that you can keep in touch with all of us! We'll get you through it!
HOw do you like that for advice?
If I think of other stuff I'll let you know!
Love you!
Maybe you are suffering from SAD seasonal affective disorder. Cut and paste the URL below into your browser for info and articles.
http://www.worldwidehealth.com/alternative-health-light-therapy.html
Post a Comment