So I fear my comments on the weather have left my British friends doubting my sincerity when I express that I actually do like living here. So as a way to prove my affections I decided to come up with-
10 things I love about England:
1. Cool weather. I have complained often of the rain, but aside from that, English weather is the perfect running weather. I love running here, and the looking at the beautiful countryside while I run doesn’t hurt either!
2. The accent. I love to hear the British speak. It doesn’t matter what they say, they still sound intelligent. I love that Madison and Savannah’s accents have returned since they started back at school. I only wish when we move away they would remain.
3. Online grocery shopping. It is big here and it is handy. I love that when we travel I can order my groceries to arrive the day we arrive back home.
4. Sausages. I have never had better sausages than I have had here. I love the Cumberland sausages with sage herbs in them. Yummy!
5. Chocolate. I have had all types of European chocolate but nothing beats the galaxy milk chocolate bars. Which I might mention I haven't had since my post about refraining from chocolate! Yay for me!
6. Not-so fast food. I wont say they lack it but it is definitely not as abundant and easily accessible as in the States. You don’t have a fast food restaurant around every corner and it can be a pain to go out of your way to get it. Makes it not worth it, which makes our family healthier!
7. Small schools. The girls have just over 100 students in their school. My sister said she has over 100 students in one grade level at her school in Utah. So from K-6 the girls only have 100 students, which means more attention from their teacher, which means more learning!
8. Fewer preservatives. When Harvey and I first bought groceries here we were amazed that all of our food went bad so quickly. Our left-overs had mold on them within days. We had a great cold fridge so the other possibility was they have fewer preservatives in their food. After some research we came to find out that was indeed the case. Wonderful!
9. Driving on the "right" side. I am a much better driver when driving on the right side of the car, left side of the road. Those who know my driving record would agree. I have a knack (knock on wood) for the right!
10. Gardens. Almost every person I know here has a garden. It is wonderful to see everyone out pruning, planting, weeding. Harvey and I reaped some goodies from our own garden this year. We have eaten potatoes, beans, strawberries, onions and we are anxiously waiting for our carrots and pumpkins, and while we wait we are gazing at our 7 foot sunflowers!



7 comments:
what a fun list. if we had the cash, joe and i would be knocking down your door tomorrow... :)
and i'm a bit late, but regarding your last post on the depressing rain season.... my suggestion is, first, excercise but also to look into buying/renting a sun lamp. joe has an uncle who suffers with seasonal depression and swears his lamp makes all the difference in the world. if we'd have stayed in ithaca any longer, i'm 100% sure joe would have had to buy one for himself...
I wish that I could come and visit so that I could taste some of that yummy chocolate for myself. And I know that if I was to come there I would have you eating it with me within a matter of hours. It would be good times and totally worth it!
That's a really nice post- makes me appreciate everything more, as I was reading, I was agreeing with everything you have written! We may have terrible, terrible weather- but I'm proud to be British! lol!
Bad Weather!
I remember feeling that way about Ithaca, We are now in sunny Colorado and I couldn't be more grateful. But as I look back I remember all the good things that came with living where we did regarding the weather we had and it makes me very sad thinking of all the things I am now missing out on.
Number one is a garden. The soil here is terrible and our water bill is outragous. Yes we actually have to water our grass to keep it growing.
Two, I like you, love to run in cool weather.
Blueberries! I miss blueberries and other you pick farms that are actually cheaper then the grocery store.
One other thing I have really noticed is if the sun is shinning you have to be really careful when taking pictures. I have loads of beautiful pictures of my kids in Ithaca because the clouds act as natural defusers. Not so easy here, and a lot more pictures with shadows and blotchy looking skin.
Here is my idea to keep you happy. I have tried to always enjoy what ever season to the fullest. Like now start gathering fall smells, recipes and deco for indoors and out. It also helps to have a sun lamp. You will feel noticably less depressed. Also remember you are having an experience that not many people get. I love that I have had opportunities to live other places. I can honestly say that although it is hard to be so far from extended family, I have become closer to "my" family and recognize that Taylor and my children are the most important thing to me. I think I am stronger and Taylor is more helpful because we only have eachother to lean on.
Now after saying all that I have to ask... Can we come and visit you, I want to see all that you are enjoying and I deffinatly want to try some of that chocolate.
Wow what a novel I just wrote.
I love to hear the British speak. It doesn’t matter what they say, they still sound intelligent
Thats probably debatable when it comes to some of the stuff I come out with :-)
Love the list. I love the british accent too. I so wish I had that. And I would love to drive on the right side too. And the cool weather would make me so happy! Glad there are lots of positives there too. We really wish we could have moved there. But a PhD in London was just not possible. Too expensive there. We hope to visit someday when our kids are older.
I love that list Lindsay. Kinda reminds me of Tasmania! I took mould off my apple sauce just thismorning! and go Michelle on the long comment! Thansk for your comment on my blog the other day! After giving you advice on the crappy weather, the sads hit me big time!!!!
Post a Comment