Thursday, September 11, 2008

10 things I loved about Japan...


Harvey and I have been thinking of all the wonderful places we have lived. We have no idea when or where our next move will be, we just know it is inevitable. All the anticipation has got us to thinking about our past. I decided to carry on with my "Love Lists" and post one on Japan. It was strange as I got to thinking about Japan, I realized just how much I loved that place. I could easily and happily move back there.

10 things I love about Japan:

1. Respect. There is so much respect in that country. Whether it is for the elderly or just doing your job. I never fear a group of teenagers no matter how scary they might look. They will still bow as you look and pass them.

2. Pride. In the good sense. They take pride in themselves. Even the street cleaners take pride in their work. They do their jobs and they do them well.

3. Subways. I have ridden many subways all over the world. Tokyo’s subway is by far the easiest to get around on, and the cleanest.

4. Bikes. There are so many bikes and so many people riding them that it makes it easy to ride one. Drivers are always looking out for you.

5. Security. I felt so safe in Japan. It didn’t matter that we lived in one of the World’s largest city. I have never felt more safe and never felt that my kids were more safe.

6. Costumer Service. One phone call was all it took. There was very little waiting. If the job wasn’t to your satisfaction (which that rarely ever happened) they would make it up to you ten-fold.

7. Honesty. I love that when Harvey left his bag with his passport and wallet in it on the subway. It stayed on the subway. He had it returned to him that night. I love that I could leave my purse on the table to go to the bathroom at a restaurant only to have it still there when I returned. Incredibly honest people.

8. Obedience. Okay, sometimes this can be a pain. They will adhere to the rules even if common sense tells them otherwise. But it is sweet to see them wait for the signal to walk at a traffic light, even when there is no cars in sight.

9. Fashion. I love that no matter what you wear your fashion sense is respected and appreciated. In fact, it seems the more bizarre you are the more you fit in there.

10. Sakura. The cherry blossoms in Tokyo are absolutely amazing. Words can't accurately describe how incredible it really is. To me it symbolizes the hope and beauty that Spring brings us after the long winters have passed. Oh Sakura, how I miss you!

8 comments:

Angie said...

You should do a post that is Ten Things I love about Angie. Now that would be a great one!

Ford Family said...

Sounds like such a great place- you have really lived in some wonderful places- I'm slightly envious!

Debs said...

So interesting to hear about another place. Beautiful blossom picture - I love blossom too, after a hard winter it lifts my spirits!

Anonymous said...

Harvey- ok, Jason...
It's Amy and I was wondering why so many moves? What do you do for a living? I love your wifes blog and have wondered since your email what it is you do for a living.

Dillon

Weston and William's Blog said...

Oh my gosh, you made me SOOOOO homesick for Japan!!! The only place I love more in the world is my own home country, but man... there is so much we can learn from the Japanese (and, being fair, of course there is much I think they could learn from us,)... I can't wait to take my fmaily there someday!! Thanks for the wonderful memories!!!!

The Harpers said...

Oh stop!! You're making me trunky. I love that country too, and think about it A LOT!!!

Dem, Mem and Them said...

Oh man! I love it here too! I don't ever want to leave, but I know it is eventually inevitable. Thanks for reminding me (on a particularly bad traffic day) why I love it so much!!

Lesley-Ann said...

Japan is one of the many places that I would like to visit one day.