Saturday, July 05, 2008

Proud to be an American

I have never liked the phrase, “Expatriate.” I immediately relate it to something negative; to delete or cross out; to exile or banish. Leaving no doubt I have a full understanding of the other definition which is; one who has taken up residence in a foreign country. However, the word itself just indicates relinquishment. Have I abandoned my country? Have I deleted or crossed out my nationality?

The phrase “distance makes the heart grow fonder,” in this case is accurate. My heart is full of gratitude as I think of my home across the ocean. A land of faults and opportunities for change, but it is a land where anyone can change it; anyone can make a difference. A land of free thinkers and a place where with aspirations and a lot of ambition you can make any dream come true, although I have learned to love these other wonderful countries I have lived in.

As my heart swells with pride with each and every Independence Day that passes; I realize I am an Expatriate because I have voluntarily left my home. But I have not renounced my allegiance. I am an American and I wear it with pride. I love my country; I love my homeland and with each year that passes while I am away my heart truly does grow fonder.








We did however, manage to celebrate the 4th of July. We went to our friends Rachael and Chris's house. Chris is an American and Rachael is British, yet she seems to be more American than I am at times! They were so great to host our whole family. We had a great time with the classic BBQ, accompanied with fireworks! You guys are great, thank you so much for giving us a wonderful holiday!

6 comments:

Weston and William's Blog said...

awwww, I could never think of you as anything BUT American! I think it's so cute with the kids in their red white and blue, and I LOVE the fruit cake! What a great idea! I think sometimes that being away from the US really makes you apprecite it and learn to love it (faults and all) more. Happy 4th!

Ford Family said...

I think there is just something about the place you were born and raised in that remains forever in your heart- like you said, it's great to visit other places, but one place is always home.

England Family said...

Thank you Lindsay. We had a great time. It was so good to be able to share it with you all.

Mandy said...

What wonderful festivities. It's hard being out of the country for Independence Day, but I love that you celebrated it.

What a cute family you are.

Stefany said...

I was blog hopping and happened upon your darling family. I love the sweet feeling of LOVE that overcame me as I looked at your posts and family. Thanks for letting me stop my!

Hayley said...

Thanks for such a great night! I only wish my salads were as good looking as your "American Flag dessert". Of course we'll see you next year! Who know's it might be warmer then too!
PS - of course you can add our blog- can we add yours too?