
As I started running I realized the feeling within me was excitement. I was excited that I was starting my day off right. I was proud that I had the motivation and energy to get out of bed and start my exercise regiment. It doesn’t happen often that I can say I have motivation, which is where the excitement comes in.
As I continued to run though, my excitement was soon abated and bewilderment took over. When I run I think of various things; everything from my children to my most recent acknowledgement of my lack of ambition. But today my thoughts turned to chocolate. Now this is certainly not out of the ordinary. My thoughts, dreams, and most of my daily cravings, or should I say, hourly cravings are all about chocolate. And not the supposed “good” kind of chocolate like dark chocolate, but the milky smooth, melt in your mouth chocolate. Now there are some who declare they aren’t chocolate lovers, however, I can guarantee they are mostly Americans, for there is nothing more dissatisfying then the waxy chocolate wannabe’s. It is the European chocolate I am talking about. I have had everything from the Danish to the Swedish, from the German to the English. It is glorious, and until you have tasted the European delectable treat you cannot say you have truly lived.
However, it wasn't until I was running up one of the many steep and exhausting hills when I realized the pain I was currently suffering was for one thing and one thing only. Chocolate. This vexatious run was only benefiting that single bar of chocolate that I consume everyday. No weight will be lost, only the few small calories to make up for the habituate. It was this reflection that made me for the first time ever hate my once beloved coco-devotion. Are those few squares really worth it? Are these extra pounds worth keeping on? After the run, my body was filled with pain, sweat, and agony and it was then that I came to this conclusion. No. No, it isn’t worth it. No, these saddle bags aren’t worth keeping. No this “full” round bottom isn’t worth retaining. No this floppy midriff isn’t worth “hanging” on to.
So the rumination has occurred and the resolution has been made. No more chocolate. I will never deny myself the occasional treat, but the chocolate bars must go. The iniquitous treat must desist and I must claim back my initial reasons for running in the first place. Not for the chocolate bar that afternoon, but for my health, my sanity, and my pre-pregnancy figure. My run will no longer be in vain, but for my vanity; for my love of life not for my love of chocolate.
Tuesday, July 08, 2008
My Chocolate Awakening
Posted by Scott Fam Dam at 9:04 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



10 comments:
Send the chocolate my way little sista! I am fully addicted and am not in denial. It is my drug of choice. I eat it almost everyday. I discovered the real stuff when I went to France years ago, and it is truly worth dying for. Good for you for cutting back. I should have the occasional as well, because all those areas you mentioned could use a little less indulging. But for now I shall eat a way.
Linds,
You write the words of my heart! Only I wish I was the runner that you are. My anguish happens at the gym with weight training. It hurts just thinking about it.
One thing I have discovered though. Dove (one of the best forms of chocolate found in American grocery stores besides the occasionally found Cadbury Caramello)makes small bite-size squares. One bite of the dark chocolate is so intense and indulgent that I need only one (and their only 35 calories each!). I keep them in my freezer so when I have an intense craving I can pop one in my mouth and - b/c they are frozen - they last a long time.
Good luck with your born-again chocolate celibacy. You are a stronger woman than I.
Ohhhh, I could never have that will power if I lived there and could eat yummy chocolate all day long. Good for you.
I give it 3 days!!
Oh sam where is your faith?
Lindsay,
I thought I taught you better! Giving up chocolate is against the Beeson/Williams rules of live.
Mom
I love the line that your run will no longer be in vain, but for vanity...classic. I wish I could guilt myself into giving up chocolate, too. I just don't have the will power. I had a friend in college who tacked a HUGE (I mean these were enormous) pair of womens undies/knickers to the back of her dorm room door as a not-so-gentle reminder to skip dessert. You're adorable and it looks to me like you don't need to give up chocolate for vanity's sake at all. Good luck with that in any case!
oh you crack me up! You are the funniest writer Lindsay! I LOVE it! I read your blog and wish I could write like that!!! I too must ditch the chocolate cause my saddle bags arent getting any less padded!!!!
Lindsay you are hilarious! and such a good writer. I love reading your descriptive blogs. hope you are having a great summer!
That is real resolve. It is one thing to give up the american made versions of chocolate but what you have at your fingertips there is ambrosia in a wrapper. That's commitment babe. I am impressed. See you next week!
Post a Comment