Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Mission Completion




The dark clouds split apart for a brief instance and the sun beamed through. It was one of the most brilliant sights. The race had already begun but it was at that point I could feel the love of all those who had passed on before. The sun was a symbol of their support to those who were running in their behalf. Two million pounds had been raised in their names to conquer that which took their lives.

As I continued to run, the sun continued to shine. I couldn't help but think of the woman whose name I wore on my back. Grandma B; a smile formed across my lips. I laughed at what she would be thinking right now. "Get them Lindsay; don't let those college girls beat you; you can do it; mind over body; they say it isn't about winning, but go try any way!" Whenever I would feel the presence of someone coming up on me, I would hear her once again, "Don't let them get you, speed up!" I began to laugh at myself. Were these thoughts my own? Maybe to some degree, but it was my Grandma B 100%. She was a woman full of drive, full of competition. Her memory drove me forward, faster, faster. I couldn't help myself.

As I came upon 4 km I spotted my support group. Harvey, with all my kids. "Go, Mom! You can do it!" The adrenal burst within me. Knowing my children were watching me and my drive to make Harvey proud made me run even faster. I see the finish line and I hear the announcer say, "4th place, 5th place, come on ladies, you're doing great!." '4th place, 5th place, could I really be that close to the front of the line?'

That is when I see the time board. I doubted what I was seeing. I ran faster! I had never felt this way, I was exhausted but never felt so full of energy! I burst through the finish line. My personal best is nothing to some people, but everything to me. 23:18, and there is no doubt I did my best, I gave it my all, and I thought of my Grandma the whole time. No it isn't about winning, but like Grandma would have given it her all out of the spirit of competition, so did I!

Thanks to all of you who supported me. Your sponsorship made it all worth it. I was able to raise over 200.00 GBP; which is nearly $400. Thank you so much. Oh, and to those of you who read my previous post, Savannah was able to ride! What a great cause, what a great day, what a great experience!

12 comments:

The Harpers said...

What a beautiful story! What to go on that time too--that's amazing!!!!!

The Harpers said...

PS. It's so funny that one of your best friends and one of our best friends are siblings. Crazy! It's a small world, and the Mormon blogging world is even smaller!

tami said...

You're amazing! You've been such a positive influence, from all the people affected by the money raised, to the friends affected by your sweet words, and even to yourself. Good job on your best time! It's obvious, too, that Sav takes after her mommy.

Weston and William's Blog said...

You go girl!! That is a great time :) I bet Harvey and the kids were so proud... and your grandma too! Way to go!

Heather S said...

What an awesome time! Congrats to you and Grandma B. I am so glad that you did so well and enjoyed the high!

Ford Family said...

Well done Lindsay- that is brilliant! You must be so thrilled with the money you raised and the time you did it in- (i'm glad I didn't do it with you- I would've held you back!)

Debs said...

Wow fantastic!! Well done ;-0 x x

Saxon said...

well done!

Lesley-Ann said...

Well done Lindsay you are an inspiration to me to go and get FIT, so maybe I can run the race next year ;)

Mandy said...

You're a speed demon girl! That was awesome! You're grandma was probably laughing with you, no doubt she was helping you along. What a great experience and story!
I'm so mad they wouldn't take my Amex card! I wanted to sponsor you so bad. I am really happy to see that you reached your goal. Way to go for being so inspiring.

By the way, you're totally going to kick my trash in the half in a month. So, I guess... wait for me at the finish line.

You're great.

Angie said...

Lindsay I never got your message until today. I am sad I didn't get to help you out. I am proud of you! You rock my socks!!!!

leslie said...

linds.... SO proud of you!!! you must feel like you're on top of the world cause nothing could beat a high like that!! way to go girl!