Monday, August 18, 2008

A Childhood Rite of Passage

I woke up thinking it was going to be just another average summer day. A day with nothing on the agenda; spent in the sun with relaxation and a crying baby. Wait, can those two words be simultaneously together?

It wasn’t until the yell of 5 boisterous children coming in my direction that I awoke from my blissful afternoon rest. “We were so bored, and we were thinking of something to do! And we have a great idea! We want to do a lemonade stand! Can we? Please?” I glanced over at my sister, whom was also expecting a relaxing day with kids entertained by cousins. She gave me that look that all mothers are familiar with. The look that indicates the phrase, “I know we should let them, but I DON’T WANT TO!” The situation that arises from this look is usually when your children are asking you to do something you know they’ll enjoy but the work required from you means the possibility of you enjoying it, isn’t likely.

But together my sister and I conjured up enough energy to get ourselves to work. Together with the children we made a plan of action, a to do list. I took all 5 children to the store, while Michelle watched the babies, there they purchased the goods to sell. Savannah made the sign, while the boys came up with the “stand” portion of the lemonade stand, and Madison kindly designated herself the one to find the “money keeper” (a bowl from under Grandma's kitchen sink). They found themselves a good corner street, set up and waited, and waited, and waited.

Finally the first car arrived, now I usually see children selling lemonade on the street, but rarely stop, due to being late for something, no cash or change, or just plain and simply I don’t want to stop! I now have a new understanding of how to become a hero in the eyes of a child, STOP, stop your car and buy their lemonade. The children were thrilled with their first sell, and 6 cars later, one which include their biggest sell; Uncle Chad, they had made $-15 of their sells back. After one hour they were ready to close out their business and willingly go bankrupt. Conclusion, Lindsay would make a horrible business woman.

But as the title says, it is a childhood rite of passage; every child must have their lemonade stand. It is a child’s chance to see the fruits of their labor, to have an idea and see it through (even if that is only an hours worth). It is a chance to relish in your childhood and make memories with cousins that will last forever. Thank you Papa, Grandma, Michelle, Parker, Tanner, Lexie, and Miranda for making our summer a happy one! Oh yeah, and Angie, you can never forget Aunt Angie, it can never be a real party without her there.

How do you keep a toddler entertained during profit making hours? Give them the sweet product your selling!

1 comments:

Angie said...

Fun! You are a great mom and thankgoodness for aunties.