It usually begins with excitement, "It's Family Night, it's Family Night!" We all gather into the family room to begin what I hope will be a successful night. But as the song chosen by Carson is the "Scooby Doo" Theme song, and the prayer given is synced with Mom and Dad's hushing each one of the children's laughter. My hopes are dashed and I hope to make it through the 2 minute lesson without interruption and the activity will end without an accident.
As you can see from the example above our success rate for Family Home Evenings is quite rare. But we always try and never give up, and through this stalwart attitude we were bound to have a success at some point. And that folks just happened to be Monday night. As we ventured to the nearest "Pick your Own" farm there was once again the excitement that is always felt before FHE begins. We successfully picked strawberries, ate strawberries, and in the end wore the strawberries. After what felt like a very successful activity we had the lesson, based on the scripture:
Matthew 7:20 "Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them."
It was amazing to see that not only was the lesson listened to, but it was acknowledged. Insight was gained and comments were given. We came home and picked through the largest of strawberries and dipped them all in delicious chocolate, which became our FHE treat.
As the kids were being put to bed, they exclaimed "This was the best Family Night ever! We loved picking the strawberries, and the lesson was so cool!" So, good food + valuable lesson = a successful Family Night; sometimes!






Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Good Food and a Valuable Lesson
Posted by Scott Fam Dam at 4:48 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 comments:
What a great lesson!! And super pictures too! I'm glad it went well! If it makes you feel better, we sing "Popcorn Popping" EVERY FHE, for both the opening and closing song, lol.
Debs says - what gorgeous photos! Looks like you had a great night, I didn't realise that the strawberries are ready for picking!
I will have to remember this one. I am glad that you had a fun night. The picture of Harvey with Carson's arm wrapped around him is so great. Did we ever pick together in Ithaca?
Of course we picked together in Ithaca. In fact, all night Harv and I talked of our time in Ithaca. It will never be duplicated!
That's made me really excited to go there! We may steal your idea completely- so you could see a similar posting on my blog next Tuesday!
Well, that gives me hope for FHE. That was a great idea too. And you get some yummy strawberries out of it. Great idea!
Yummmy! What a great family night!
You have the right attitude Lindsey, there were many times that I thought about FHE 'Why are we bothering?'. But then I also remember asking myself 'Why do I go to church when I spend so much time in the corridor?' But we do these things because they are required of us right? Great blessings come from doing whats right as you know and i'm reminded of the saying 'I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it! Anyway once again another great post and photos.
It was great lunching the other day with you young Mums, please can you email me or write down that yummy chicken croissants recipe?
Lesley-Ann x
Post a Comment