
There are so many memories I have of my Mom and so many stories I could tell. But it is the pivotal moments in my life; the ones that have shaped my character and have made me who I am; those moments are the ones I have dear to my heart and are the precious reminders to me of how important my mother truly is. For in her example, I have found strength, love, and nurturing.
I learned everything and anything maternal from my mother, naturally. One vivid memory in particular comes when my younger sister was just an infant. I remember late one afternoon creeping into my mother's bedroom and hearing her soft voice singing her lullaby to her brand new infant. "Hush thee, my baby" was being sung gently in my sisters ears as she was nestled so sweetly in my mother's arms. From that experience I too have been able to sing that same lullaby and relish in the moment that evaporates so swiftly as those tiny babies grow up and the moment for lullaby's drifts away.
Another memory I have is quite painful but was life altering for me. It happened when I was evolving from the stage of a child into that of a young woman. We all know how emotionally painful that stage can be. As I had just entered Junior High school I began to watch all my dearest friends form new friendships and finding myself friendless and trying ever so hard to fit in. One night in particular was at a party that I was invited to based on a polite gesture not out of sincerity, and feeling utterly alone and friendless I called the one person I could feel that love and acceptance from; my mother. She quickly came and picked me up and immediately feeling safe and secure in her presence I burst into tears and remained in her loving arms for the remainder of the night. From that experience I learned my role as a mother is to build a safe and secure environment so my children can feel that open acceptance and love from the moment they are in my presence. I'll never forget that painful look in my mother's eyes as she watched me suffer through this horrible stage in life, I learned that night just how deep a mother's love is.
Another memory I have of my mother came from another challenging experience. Mother's are always there when you need them. Harvey had broken off our engagement,(boo, hiss, terrible Harv) and Harvey and I were in my parents kitchen just talking. My mother having yet seen Harvey since the night he ripped my heart into several pieces. She walked in the kitchen and looked at Harvey with the most severe look, everything from her eyes piercing to her clenched jaw. Although it cut Harvey deep, it taught me that you never mess with a mother's child. The scripture states, "And again Jesus said, defend your families even unto bloodshed..." and from the look my mother gave Harvey bloodshed was an option. Never mess with my kids.
And always I have the memories of when I have my own sweet babies, and my mother will fly all over the world to help me. There is nothing more endearing to me than to watch my mother hold my sweet children in the most natural and loving way. When I am feeling overwhelmed and exhausted my Mother gives me the added strength and example to keep moving forward. Whenever I am stuck with a decision to make in regards to my children or a problem that they may be facing, I call the professional, my mom. Although she will always say she never has good advice, little does she know that she usually leaves me feeling validated, more confident in my own abilities, and more content with all matters at hand.
I love you mom. You have taught me how to be a better mom, but most importantly you have taught me how to cherish motherhood and appreciate this precious gift of mothering God's children.
Sunday, May 11, 2008
My Mom
Posted by Scott Fam Dam at 6:47 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
What a lovely post!!!
Lyns,
I have really come to love your blog. I am always happy when you have a new post. Your writing makes even your smallest of events seem so interesting. Your spirit just really shines through. This is such a great post about your Mom. Every Mother would have an overflowing heart with such sweet and sincere words as these. I hope your well.
Post a Comment