


Does Savannah like being the detective who can solve any mystery or the horse named Steady? Does Madison being the world famous ballerina or the mommy who rules the roost? Does Carson prefer being Madison's Sidekick or the unconquerable Superhero? It is so fun to watch my children imagine they are a completely different person in a completely new world. Sometimes their imagination astounds me other times it isn't so creative. For instance, Savannah told Madison the other day, "Let's pretend we are two girls, who travel all over the world!" I had to say, "Savannah do you realize you are two girls that travel all over the world." "Oh yea," she suddenly realizes that the life she is living now might actually be just as fun as the ones in her imagination. Anyway, Harvey and I were discussing the other night how many phases our kids have gone through. Let's see:
-Bug phase, they loved bugs. All summer they collected bugs. Everything from slugs to millipedes.
-Princess and the Pauper- when that Barbie movie came out with the CD included we wouldn't so much watch the movie but we would play the CD over and over again, while the girls dressed up and would reenact the entire play for me.
-Harry Potter-Savannah was really into Harry Potter for awhile. She would make herself a wand and invent some sort of make believe wizard game.
-Nancy Drew- We were lucky to have world renowned sleuths here in our home. They had quite a few mysteries to solve and they would usually involve their side-kick Carson who is now old enough to join in all the make believe fun.
-There was also a time when the little plastic slide we had out front would take you into some strange world depending on the way you went down it, front, backwards, or a cool little twist.
-Of course, then there is Savannah's perpetual horse phase. She used to be a horse all the time. It didn't matter if we were in public or not, she would come galloping and neighing. Even when a stranger would ask her a question she would respond in a neigh. It was frightfully embarrassing. I still catch glimpses of her galloping, but at least now when someone talks to her she will actually respond in her human form.
-And then there is the big boy who although is only 3, has still had a number of alias's. There was the year long transportation phase; was a car, played with cars, etc. Anything with wheels was something to be admired and he would sit and play with cars for hours and hours. From there he went to spiderman. at any given moment he could transform into Spiderman, he would even deck out in the gear with the mask included. And then onto Mickey Mouse. He adored Mickey, and then when he met Mickey this last month suddenly Mickey's appeal wasn't so great anymore. So that is when Scooby Doo took over and still to this day nothing beats Scooby Doo and his Scooby snacks (raisinetts).
Whatever the circumstance may be, there is no doubt my kids have a huge imagination. One ability I hope to foster and encourage while I can. But for the moment I am going to sit back and enjoy watching them as they travel to the ends of the earth, change into a new species, and save mankind as we know it.
Thursday, May 22, 2008
Identity Crisis?
Posted by Scott Fam Dam at 8:48 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
It is so fun to get a little glimpse of what goes on in there heads thru their imaginative play. Tonite we were watching so you think you can dance and all of the sudden Elias became a breaker staight off of the streets of southern california. I am so grateful for all of the extra smiling I get to do because I have kids.
I wish I still had the ability to be asborbed into another identity. My kids are trick or treating with the neighbor kids rights now...dressed as cowboys and asking for candy!
Post a Comment