Friday, May 16, 2008

Father and Son


Today Harvey took Carson away on their first Father and Son campout. I don't think I have ever been so touched in all my life than when I witness the bond between Harvey and Carson. Carson has been anticipating this trip for two days. Every time he saw Harvey he would discuss with dad the details of their campout. When the big day arrived; Carson anxiously awaited for dad's return home from work. When Harvey came through the door Carson ran to his dad enveloped him in the world's biggest hug by a three year old and said, "Okay dad let's go!" In the hour it took them to get ready, Carson followed his daddy everywhere, insisting they wear matching shirts and hats.

When I was putting his shoes on to leave he noticed that I too had my shoes on. "Mom are you going too? Daddy is mommy going?" I quickly assumed he was anxious to have me come along. Oh my dear boy wants me to come. How sweet is that?! We answered his questions with, "No, Mom isn't going she has to stay here with the girls." "But mommy has her shoes on, she is coming?" was his quick response. Instantly I could feel that my boy didn't want to leave me behind. But soon these thoughts were shattered when again we answered Carson's question, "No mommy isn't going." Carson then replied, "Good! Only boys, huh Daddy, only boys, no girls!"

Strangely enough my ego wasn't busted, my heart wasn't shattered. I was touched, I was touched that Carson needed this bonding with his daddy. He values that relationship and loves his daddy. I was touched that Harvey has been the amazing daddy that is, such that his son longed for this time to be alone with him, and better yet, to be just like him. No, I wasn't hurt by the exclusion, I am proud to be a witness to the strong bond between a father and his son.

My heart was saddened when they drove away though. My boy, is growing up. He is old enough for these little outings and confident enough to leave his mother's side and venture out into the great outdoors. Have fun boys, and remember there are 4 anxious girls waiting for your return.

6 comments:

Angie said...

Happy campin' Little Harvey! So fun. I am so glad you got your little boy. It is fun to see the difference between little boys and little girls. Flickr is where I stumbled upon the letter blocks. I have been wanting to create my name from letters around town butter never got around to it. Who would of thought it was already done for me and with just a click away. I'll see if I can get the link up. Have a great girly weekend. Angie

Angie said...

He He I just re-read my message and just about spit water all over my computer when I read butter. LOL!

Weston and William's Blog said...

Love this post! As fun as it will be when my boys are ready to go off and do things with just daddy, I know it will make me a little sad, too! I sometimes wonder how single moms do it, and I feel sad for those little boys especially. This is a great post, thanks for sharing!

Ford Family said...

Hi- Great post- Russell loved the sound of it- and is already planning his trip with the boys!

Anonymous said...

Lindsay, great post! Great picture too! If Harv's beard gets any longer, I may not recognize him anymore :)

D

Mandy said...

That is so funny, but cute that he wanted to be with his dad.
I love the pictures!

by the way, I love reading your blog too. I'm very envious of your country life.