Saturday, February 09, 2008

A Year with Rylie




Today is Rylie's birthday and naturally I reflect on this years events with Rylie. So to name a few:

-A blissful 4 days alone with her in the Japanese hospital. I felt I got the chance to really get to know her with all the one on one time I had with her. Not being able to understand Japanese, so the television was useless I only had my IPOD to entertain me. So I would often gently put the earphones up to Rylie's ears whenever she would get upset and immediately she would calm down. I truly believe it was the Mormon Tab that reminded her of all the sweet spirits she just left behind.

-Once home the bliss was over and nothing but crying for 8 straight months was all we had after that!!! A colicky baby is horrendous. I am positive that her tears is what drove me to my now chocoholic state.

-Putting her in the pool for the first time this last summer and seeing her go absolutely crazy over the water! She loves water. It is all I can do to keep her from squirming out of my arms. We dunk all our babies at a young age (have yet to have any afraid of the water) they have all come up out of the water and cried for a short minute, but not Rylie, she came up out of the water gasped for air and then smiled the biggest grin of all time.

-Once Rylie learned that crying wasn't necessary 24/7, she actually did a complete 180 and turned into the most pleasant baby. She is, as the British say, "cheeky."

-Rylie has a love and a need for interaction. She loves to play with people. Her favorite game is "Peek-a-boo." She will cover everything but her eyes, and then quickly pull her hands away and giggle as we say "There's Rylie!"

-After a rocky first few months with Carson, like, being hit in the head with a tennis racket, all toy cars being thrown at her head, being kicked, punched, and what I call the kiss of death (a sweet kiss turning into lips pressing as hard as possible onto her cheek, smashing her face in between the carpet and his mouth). I will never forget when their relationship took a turn for the better. The first time Carson and Rylie started to play together. She is the monster and he runs from her as she crawls as fast as she can, with her head down because she is giggling to hard to keep it up. Now those kisses stay sweet.

-Rylie's laugh is hysterical. She actually doesn't laugh. She sucks in air, making it sounds as if she is gasping for it. Hard to explain, but we are still working on that belly laugh to come out.

There are so many more memories, but I will leave this as is, and end with saying, Rylie Jane we love you so much. We absolutely thought we were done having girls but we are so overjoyed to know that God knew what was best for this family by sending us another one. You are precious and dear and we are so grateful you are ours!

4 comments:

The Harpers said...

I can't believe she's already 1! Your baby shower feels like just yesterday. Time flies.

Koch Clan said...

Happy Birthday Rylie! So cute. Great post Linds. Jude also had colic and I thought I was going to die. And his birthday is tomorrow. Maybe it has something to do with the date they are born. Hmm, although they were born in very different places. She is a doll and I the outfit is so cute she is holding up.

Lisa said...

A year already! She is adorable!

Heather S said...

Happy Birthday to Rylie! I am so glad that she is now such a happy and sweet child. She is beautiful and I think she likes the dress! Well done on the first year...can't wait to see what she does next.