Saturday, February 23, 2008

An Act of Service


There is no doubt in my mind Savannah was meant to come into our family first. She is unlike most 8 year olds. She, not only, desires to be around and with Rylie nearly every minute of the day. But she does it with amazing ability.

Just a sweet example of her great maternal care...
The other day she told her friends mom, "My mom sleeps in ALL the time." When I heard this, I of course laughed it off with the other mom, but as soon as doors were closed I felt this need to explain to Savannah why mom has been sleeping in. First of all, I had been getting up with sick Carson every night all night for the past week. Secondly, me getting up at 7:30am doesn't really mean I am sleeping in, just according to Savannah who gets up at 6:30am. So after I gave her my explanation. She understood why mommy is so "lazy," in the mornings lately.

So the following morning. I faintly heard Rylie crying, way too tired to respond immediately I decided to give myself a few more slow minutes. I actually ended up falling back to sleep, only to wake up 30 minutes later. I was completely alarmed by this and jumped out of bed assuming Rylie was in hysterics at this point. But I found her downstairs playing with Savannah, diaper changed, and already fed. Yes, Savannah, the most amazing 8 year old in the world, got Rylie out of her crib, changed her diaper, then proceeded to take her downstairs, put her in her highchair and feed her. I was completely overwhelmed by her abilities but when I found out why she had done all this, I became all the more touched by this sweet girls' innate ability to serve. She said, "Mom, after you told me how hard your nights are, I wanted you to be able to sleep a little bit longer, so I took care of Rylie for you!" Almost to good to believe. Savannah you are my shining star of service!

5 comments:

Church Family said...

What a wonderful post. Your posts are always so thoughtful and interesting. What a great story about your sweet Savannah. We need to make sure she and Elias stay in touch and get lined up by there Mothers someday!!

Chelsea Parsons said...

ohhhhh that's so cool! Id love for my two older girls to be like that when the baby comes! Maybe they could feed her too.... Sav sure is a sweet girl.

Sunshine Promises said...

I can't believe how much your family has grown. Crazy stuff! Check out our blog and new addition (baby Ashton) at davidandamandawilkinson.blogspot.com

Love you guys -
Amanda

leslie said...

i can't believe how grown up sav looks!! her hair is so much darker than i remember and i love the bangs. what a sweet sweet girl... she must really love her mama!

Camden said...

Wow, i haven't read your blog in a while! Did you color Sav's hair? It's so dark. You kids are so sweet. I love the 'truthful' things Savannah tells you--especially the one during your pregnancy! I'm sure not to funny to you!