We were so tired of sitting around during the kids half-term break, that we decided last minute to take a road trip down south. Looking back on this trip, there were definitely good moments and some very bad moments as well. But still I will never be someone who says having children limited us to travel. In fact, I believe traveling with children(aside from them screaming on an airplane) makes the trip more fun . When we were at Stonehenge I could hear the girls theories as to why, and how the stones got there. I was able to talk with them about how mysterious it is. Which in turn helped me to appreciate it more. When we went to the beach I was able to watch the kids discover hidden things beneath the sand, something I wouldn't be doing at the beach as an adult by myself! I was able to watch Rylie discover the sand for the first time and decide whether or not she liked it by lifting her feet up and then slowly put them back down and then all to quickly lift them back up into the air. Carson loved chasing the water as the ocean tides would bring the water back out to sea, but then the great waters would change it's position and would turn on Carson and soon Carson the great predator would be the prey. I guess one aspect of traveling with kids is this, they don't need to limit us in our travels, as long as we are in it for them.
Another wonderful thing about family road trips is the opportunity we get to hone in on our children's skills and obsessions. By pointing out every tractor we see along the way, singing along to Hannah Montana and Highschool Musical in the car, (and I must admit I was very impressed by just how much of the lyrics Harvey knew!) and of course by listening to Savannah as she taught us about the breeds of horses we saw in pasture as we were passing them. Although with the obvious upset that English hotels don't have swimming pools, our kids were able to replace this disappointment by wrestling with dad on the hotel bed (why do I care if it messes up the bed, I don't have to remake it).
Traveling with kids can be tough but if it is done right it can be magical. A chance to reconnect and build beautiful and everlasting memories, which I hope as parents we can cherish forever.
This picture cracks me up, with Rylie being up all night and Harvey and I exhausted this was the best smile we could get out of Harvey all day. This is a perfect depiction of Harvey's mood.
STONEHENGE
Sunday, February 17, 2008
Family Road Trips
Posted by Scott Fam Dam at 4:25 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
You have such a wonderful attitude! I'm scared to death to take my ONE child on vacation next month. You words are inspiration.
Post a Comment