Tuesday, February 05, 2008

A Child's Prayer



For Family Night Carson said his first solo prayer. So sweet! I have been listening very intently during my children's prayers lately and have decided that the perfect evaluation for how you are doing as a parent comes from listening to their prayers. For example, Harvey is out of town again and as always I struggle with my patience. Well obviously because in Savannah's prayers this week this is what she said:

"Heavenly Father please bless Mom and help her to relax and not get angry"

A few nights later, I was still failing as a parent:

"Heavenly Father please help Mom to be more patient, and when Carson does something he shouldn't do help her to not yell at him."

After that prayer I asked her, "Did I yell at Carson today?" Because I was really shocked with this prayer. Normally her prayers hit truth so well that I feel terribly guilty. "No," she says, "I am just praying for that just in case you do."

That's Sav for you, always thinking ahead. She of all the kids is my most brutally truthful. For instance, when I was 8 months pregnant and bent over to pick something off the floor and she asks, "Mom is your butt supposed to get that big when your pregnant?" And when I make dinner, "Mom your biscuits are good but if you and Dad were in a contest, he would definitely come in first place, but you would make second!"

6 comments:

Koch Clan said...

Hey Lindsay! Glad to see your blog. Your kids are so cute. Looks like your youngest and my youngest are a day apart! Can't believe you are in England! So cool. Glad you found our blog and that we are in touch again. By the way I would die if Rob traveled like your husband. You are a good mom!

Oregon Millburns said...

Oh Lindsay! I could not help but laugh through this whole blog. Your kids are so cute! Lindsay, if I become half the mom you are then I will be happy with myself...You ROCK as a mom!

The Harpers said...

That is too funny! I love what children say, it really is a good thing we have them around otherwise we might get to full of ourselves :)

Anonymous said...

You are such a good mom. Keep up the good work. You are such an example. Peyton told me I was fired as a mom the other day. Love these silly kids. Where do they come up with the things they say? I swear he isn't watching that Donald Trump guy.

Lesley-Ann said...

Oh Lindsay, I just read your blog and you made me laugh, kids can be so Brutally honest! I have added your blog to mine hope you don't mind.
I think you do an incredible job with Harvey gone a fair amount and you are in a strange country with no family.
After all I take my hat off to anyone that has more then 3 children as that is all I could manage.
Love Lesley-Ann x

Church Family said...

Lindsay, What a great post. Every parent can relate to those truthful moments. Hopefully as they age it doesn't mean there will be more of them. It was so GREAT to see Harvey. You guys are awesome. We can't wait for a move to AZ to get that political career going. We would love to have you closer.