Monday, January 14, 2008

My Nanny

We had to make an urgent and unexpected trip to the US shortly after Christmas. My Nanny (Grandma) passed away. Although funerals and deaths are most definitely a sad occasion I found myself so grateful for so many blessings I was being given at that moment.

First off, that my entire family was able to go back to the States with me, paid for by Rolls Royce, was an unbelievable gift. We had no idea that all of us would be able to go back. But we were and boy did we surprise my Mom and Dad. They were only expecting myself and Rylie. But we showed up a day early to pull off the best surprise of the year (and the year has only just begun, so this is big time!) My brother-in-law picked us up from the airport and brought us to my parents who were having a New Years Eve party with my siblings (hmmm, that must have been set up). First I pounce through the front door, and after hugs and kisses, I ask my parents to help me with my luggage. It is very dark so they aren't able to see the rest of the family in the car, as they walk out to the car. As they open the car doors the overhead light goes on and they are surprised with an additional 4 visitors! I will never forget the expression in my Dad's voice, and the tears in my Mom's eyes as they were overwhelmed with joy at seeing all 4 of their Grandchildren, something they weren't expecting until July!

A couple of days later we attended a beautiful funeral. I was asked to give a talk and as I wrote the talk I realized just how blessed I was to have my Nanny in my life. She was a wonderful woman who served faithfully in the church; still I cannot hear the word Relief Society and not think of her. She was amazingly gifted woman with the ability to infectiously laugh at everything, and yet scold you with enough force to knock down the bravest of men. I feel so blessed to have known her, but as I mourn her loss I am comforted in knowing that she is with her soul mate and the love of her life, my Grandpa, who passed away a year ago.

It was so good to be with family again; to see my children play with the Grandparents and cousins, to hear them cry when they have to leave, to be able to upset my little sister once again (man I am getting good at that), to laugh with my siblings, to hear my brother and Harvey discuss politics over and over AGAIN, to play Settlers and WOW until the middle of the night, to get knee deep in the snow and throw snowballs at every one of the kids (so fun!) and most of all to finally be able to be with family and to console them when they are going through something difficult, is to me one of the greatest blessings of all.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

sorry to hear about your lost. She sounds like an amazing women!

Margaret said...

As a parent with kids away from home, I can imagine what a wonderful surprise and blessing it was for your Mom and Dad. I think it's a great thing for kids to be able to spend time with their extended families. I'm sorry that you lost someone so dear to you, but thankful that you know you'll be with her again!

Heather S said...

OK...so I have tears in my eyes. For the loss of your Grandma and for the joy you experienced seeing family when you live so far away! I am so happy for you all. Right now my mom is playing cards with Trevor...she and my Dad leave this Monday...won't see them until July. It is killing me! Miss you guys..love to you!!!