Sunday, November 18, 2007

My Pride and Prejudice Moment







Ladies! I made it to Chatsworth House, the home of Mr. Darcy. Well at least many scholars believed that Jane Austen's description of the Pemberley house is based on the appearance of the Chatsworth House.

From the book:
"They gradually ascended for half a mile, and then found themselves at the top of a considerable eminence, where the wood ceased, and the eye was instantly caught by Pemberley House, situated on the opposite side of a valley, into which the road with some abruptness wound. It was a large, handsome, stone building, standing well on rising ground, and backed by a ridge of high woody hills; - and in front, a stream of some natural importance was swelled into greater, but without any artificial appearance. Its banks were neither formal, nor falsely adorned. Elizabeth was delighted. She had never seen a place of which nature had done more, or where natural beauty had been so little counteracted by an awkward taste. They were all of them warm in their admiration; and at that moment she felt, that to be mistress of Pemberley might be something!"

This is a painting of what Chatsworth would have looked like when Jane Austen wrote Pride and Prejudice.


It was absolutely surreal. It was beautiful! The gardens were so extensive, and house was extravagant; I felt I stood in awe most of the trip. It is located in the Peaks District which made the surrounding area amazing to look at as well. I know that when Jane Austen wrote this magnificent novel that she may not have had this house in mind, however, I wouldn't doubt it for a second if she did. If Mr. Darcy were to own a home such as this in a place like Derbyshire, he would have all the reasons in the world to have the pride that he was judged to possess. Oh I love this book and movie (the Colin Firth version, naturally!)! Now I have just have to find Longbourn, Rosings, and Netherfield Park.

3 comments:

Becca said...

Another great weekend outing! So cool! I have to tell you again how much I love your hair - it really suits you and you look like Kate Beckinsale!

Lisa said...

So Cool! I love the beautiful pictures. What a great place!

Scott Fam Dam said...

OH Becca you made my whole day!