Saturday, October 16, 2010

And Another Mile...

I love the fall for many reasons. But one being it is the best time to run a race. It's cool but not cold so the weather is inviting and it recharges the body. Last year I entered Savannah and Madison in this youth race and they enjoyed it so much I was determined this year to not only do it again but to enter Carson and Rylie in it too! They do the races based on age and gender.


So first up it was the 3 and under girls race, and Rylie slaughtered the competition without even breaking a sweat. She not only enjoyed the run but she loved all the cheers that she believed were sent in her direction.

Carson ran his 1/4 mile in great time. He completed it in 2:06 which makes an awesome 8:24 mile time.

Maddie rocked her mile run by killing her last mile time by shaving off nearly a minute and a half and finishing at a 9:04 pace.

Savannah surprised me greatly as she speedily rounded the corner she was in the top 10 and nearly passing out from a bad side cramp. I ran alongside her and urged her to fight through and focus on the girl in front of her. I encouraged her to try to slide ahead of that girl on the final downhill sweep. As the downhill came her legs shot out and she flew past the fixed competition and ended with an amazing 8:22 pace.

I am so proud of my kids. There is nothing more thrilling then to see them achieve their goals and to genuinely be proud of themselves.

Maybe next year our Emma can join in the fun. But I must say she is setting records everyday by her ever increasing consumption of food. We are proud of those round dimply thighs and her rotund belly and double chin (currently working on her third). You go girl!

3 comments:

Becky said...

The part I like best is that they are all cheering for each other. So sweet and perfect.

Mills Family said...

Go team!

Heather S said...

What a great event. Love it.