I am a coach. Never in a million years thought I could be. I don't know sports very well, I don't play sports very well. Which is why I chose the one sport that doesn't require rules, theory, quick thinking or much talent. Running. I can run. It doesn't require much coordination, right foot, left foot. It doesn't require any sports theory or rules, the faster I run the better my time. Simple enough. So I chose to coach my girls after school running club. It is called Girls On the Run. It is a great program that incorporates self-esteem into running and at the end of the season they run a 5k. It is inspiring, uplifting, and I love it.
Lately in order to prepare for the final 5k, I have been entering them into shorter distance races. The first one was the famous Lynchburg, Amazing Mile. It was chaotic and frustrating but the main reason we did it was because my girls were going to get to meet Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf. They exclusively met with the Girls On the Run, answered questions and sign shirts. It was so incredible to meet two people who are not only talented but driven. The girls asked questions like, "How long have you been playing tennis?" "Who was your favorite person to play?" "Who wins when you and your wife play each other?" "Do you play any other sports?" "How old are you?" "Do you live in a mansion?" Some were hilarious...and some were good real questions.
His answers were honest and but well rehearsed, he's been playing since before he could walk. He loves to play his wife. His wife always wins because he's too busy looking at her and not the ball. He used to play soccer as well and Steffi played basketball. He is 20 years older than he was 20 years ago. No he doesn't live in a mansion but his house does have a pool and a tennis court.
Later Savannah and Madison both got their t-shirts signed and after much stress laid upon her I was able to force Savannah to also get him to sign a tennis ball for my dad. Who now claims he is going to sell it on ebay. He'll die if he does!
Afterwards they ran their miles. Savannah got a PR of 9:12 and Madison being her first mile and the fact her shoe fell off during the race got a 10:27. It was hot and awful but they had a good time.

6 comments:
AWESOME!
How fun Lindsay! That sounds like a great thing to do with your girls! I'm happy for you! You're the best MOM!
Well done girls - you are amazing!! Hey, Sav - when did you get so tall!! Lots of love x x
This is really cool!
That is fantastic. How do you find the time to do that with your 3 little ones! I can never seem to do anything like that with the older ones because I always have the little ones to contend with! You are such a great mum xx
Their still married?? I would have run the race too just to meet them.
Post a Comment