Friday, March 12, 2010

It's time...

I was hanging out with Carson the other day and there was a moment when I noticed he was looking straight at my tummy. I could see a question was about to occur as his look when from curiosity to confusion. More importantly I knew it was going to be a question that I wasn't particularly going to like. So I held my breath as his lips began to part and out it came...


"Mom, I thought you were going to lose your big belly after the baby came out? Why is it still there?"

I was instantly deflated. My shoulders shrunk forward and my head dropped its gaze to the floor. It's true, I did inform him that once the baby arrived the big belly would be gone. It was all my fault for setting myself up like that. I shuffled towards him and asked him with whatever hope I had left in me,

"Is my belly really as big as it was when Emma was inside it?"

"No, but it still a little big."

So from the mouth of babes I realize the state of my physical appearance has taken a hit and it is time to get this worn out body back into shape. And so the journey begins and I ask for the will power of my father and hope that my love for running is enough to shrink the thighs and melt the pounds away. Let the pain begin...

3 comments:

Ford Family said...

I'm sure mine said similar things to me! We spend all this time trying to teach them to be truthful, but sometimes wouldn't we just rather they fibbed a little?! Can't wait yo see you next week xxx

Hilarie said...

I'm sure you look great. Aren't kids wonderful with their honesty. My Maddy keeps asking when I won't have a fat belly anymore. After I read this I talked to her about the fact that it won't go away right after the baby comes (hopefully within 6-12 months). THANKS for the helpful hint- I could've had a really disappointed girl!

Mary said...

Ugh! That seriously hurts. I so have been there. It's ironic how something like that strikes you as really funny, since kids just don't get it, but how painful it is too! You're beautiful!!