So after reading my friends blog and her journal on her pregnancy (we are due around the same time) I realized I haven't written much about my own pregnancy. But after deliberating on this, I realized why...I don't enjoy being pregnant. I hesitate to state this fact, because I have many dear friends that haven't the blessing of getting pregnant as I do. So let me clarify so I don't sound completely ungrateful.
I feel truly blessed and oftentimes find myself weeping gratefully over the fact that I have 5 healthy beautiful children. What a blessing.
I have never had a miscarriage. What a blessing.
Harvey and I have never had any problems getting pregnant, we often joke that all we have to do is wash our underwear together and we get pregnant. What a blessing!
However, with all these blessings that we have in our life, they still don't diminish the fact that I don't neccessarily enjoy being pregnant.
Here is a quick statement of my 5th pregnancy,
1st Trimester- I was sick! Very sick! Prenatal vitamins were impossible to swallow. I could smell everything and everything smelled bad. I was so tired I could barely get out of bed in the morning. My boobs hurt very, very badly. My back had already begun to hurt and my abdomen immediately began to swell. I quickly gained weight and by the end of the first trimester I was already into it with 14 additional pounds, ouch! I grew what Carson calls a "nose" on my belly, which just so happens to be my belly button. The house was never clean and I became something I am usually not, LAZY! I couldn't stand the heat and humidity, they seemed to make negative emotion and physical ailment worsen.
However, I was still able to run..., slowly. I ran 2 races my first trimester and had a great time and felt much accomplishment.
2nd Trimester- I am HUGE!!! I mean HUGE!!! My children continually remind me everyday of just how large I am , with comments like, "Mom you are massive!" "Mom I can't believe how big your belly is!" "Mom you are getting bigger and bigger everyday!"... I attempted to run but found that my tendonitis in my hips became so excruciating that at one moment I couldn't walk for 2 days. There are still days when tendonitis takes over and I am found utterly useless... I still feel waves of nausea... I am tired 24/7... I have had the stomach flu, and a chest infection... My allergies have been so bad that I feel there are days I can barely see out of my eyes... Everything still stinks... I am grouchy, very grouchy... I have no tolerance or patience... I speak my mind and offend people constantly... I have no tact when I am pregnant... My brain is slowly diminishing in its logic and quick thinking... I often forget things... I committed my traditional car accident while pregnant by driving the car into the house; luckily the house and car were nearly unscathed (que Dad rolling his eyes at this comment)... I am panicked stricken and full of anxiety (swine flu has me in an uproar)... My feet and legs are so swollen that at times I feel that they might pop with the amount of tension and pressure they feel... My varicose veins are not only horrendously ugly, but they have tripled in size since I have stopped running... I am already in this 20lbs and see no end in sight.
However, the baby is moving at a rapid pace, I love feeling the baby move... I can still breathe comfortably... Harvey works from home and has been a tremendous help during the rougher days and he is very understanding; he has heard the above mentioned complaints on a daily basis and listens with patience... I love that man!
I know this entry sounds negative and I question do I really want to post this? Do I want my children to read my thoughts on this beautiful blessing of pregnancy? Shouldn't I be more like those women who see pregnancy nothing more than the fact that it is, holding your dear baby safely and sweetly within your womb?
Although I can't manage to change my attitude, after all, I am pregnant!:) I will let my children know this, it is all worth it. The days and minutes spent with them is worth it. I cherish my pregnancies because I know the reward in the end is a beautiful child that I will once again hold my delicate heart so tightly within their grasp. A child that I know will captivate me and leave me in awe. So no, being pregnant isn't the most joyous time in my life, but raising the child is...and for that very reason I am grateful to be pregnant.
The big fuzzy purple blob is my belly...as you can see my fat swollen feet are just about out of view.
Saturday, September 26, 2009
The Pregnancy
Posted by Scott Fam Dam at 1:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 comments:
I think i want to hear more about you driving your car into the house. Just think, three more months and you are done for good. You can do it!!!!
I know how you feel- and I too have so many friends who struggle. But in the end- those babies- all worth it, isn't it? And I think that's what will let them know how much we love and treasure them- that we are more than willing to go through all of this- just to add them to our families.
I too do not enjoy being pregnant- as I'm sure you already know! I wish that I did enjoy it- and there are brief times that I do, but they are very few and far between! I am the opposite of someone who blossoms in pregnancy! I get really sick, irritable, tired, etc etc! I hope the next few months pass quickly for you, and that soon you will have that beautiful baby in your arms. Miss you xx
Love the picture. It reminded me of a comment my pregnant sister got from a man when she was on a walk. He said "your feet have a hat". Hang in there chica. I agree I would much rather hold my babies in my arms than in my belly!
right with ya... I hate being preggas. I was nodding with all you said!!! Love ya xox
We're going to make it Lindsay! I know we can! Both of us expecting to have boys are now having girls, and both of us absolutely loving the "glow" that pregnancy brings. Thanks for posting this. It makes me feel better about my post that I too debated making public.
We're more than halfway there! Hope you're doing well!
I too hated pregnancy both times!!Imagine what it was like carrying two!!!!! ouch!! You are nearly there, each time you feel a little crazy take a look at your beautiful scan photo and that will melt all your aches/moans away.
Julia & Boys Griffydam
xx
You are so funny! I loved reading this post. At least you can still see your toes. Some of us loose sight of those by the end!!! I will show you a picture I have of me pregnant with Oliver right near the end. You will die!!!! and feel much better about yourself I promise!
Lindsay-
I just found your blog again off Chels and this entirely describes my pregnancies. Yuck. But, you're right, the babies are worth it. And good for you to have the guts to tell it like it really is. Good luck!
Post a Comment