As I was rummaging through some old pictures and trying to collaborate to make the Scott Family 2008 photo album; my heart began to get heavy.
As I skim past pictures of England's treasures; I also come upon our adventures in France, Italy, Portugal and Spain. I ask myself, is it over? All those once in a lifetime cultural experiences, are they over?
I wasn't ready to call it quits, the thirst for travel still raged within me and within 1 month of being back in the United States, I found myself getting antsy. But instead of booking trips to European wonders I found myself little intrigued by the States of which I have seen before. Where could I possibly go to ease my urges?
A couple more months roll by and Harvey approaches me with a trip to our new brother-in-laws hometown in West Virginia. West Virginia? I fear my eyes have been opened to the wonders of the world, will the treasures of West Virginia be able to hold my fancy?
As I concede to go, I do so with reluctance. As my brother-in-law shows us around his hometown I watch him and observe pride swell within him. He is so proud of his roots and the beauty of his home State. I decide that I am going to try to see West Virginia through his eyes, to figure out what could possibly hold such pride. As we drive around my eyes caught hold upon this...
And this...
It is beautiful! As we get out of the car and stroll around I learn new facts of the great American Civil War. I learn that hundreds of men died in the battles on the West Virginian mountainsides. I observe bullets with teeth marks of the wounded victims when anesthesia was not available and chomping down on a bullet to counteract the pain had to suffice (which is where the term, "bite the bullet" came from). As I look down those steep mountains I envision the great and terrible battles that took place. But as my war education came to an end, we continued to travel throughout the countryside and that is when we found this hidden treasure:

Where these precious babes were able to play.








So what can be concluded from this mini-adventure? It isn't over, it will not end. The Scott's will continue their adventures, but for this chapter in their lives they will just be their Grand American Adventures!




6 comments:
No doubt it won't end. I love the photos it really makes me appreciate the time I had in the East. I have to be honest...there is not alot to look at in Dallas.....I need to travel to the Alamo and places that have historic value.... good on you for seeing the positive there girl!
hey guys. those places will be amazing in the fall! all the kids look great. how is the little fella? and how is the other little girl who holds my heart - Riley?
sorry when I said the other little girl who holds my heart I meant other than olivia. I was not trying to suggest Carson was a girl... he is quite the stud!
I loved your post. You posted on my facebook right before it crashed asking about traveling. I miss it, so much and could totally relate to what you wrote. It's interesting how well preserved and easy to find historical treasures and amazing places are in Western Europe (isn't so well preserved in Armenia and I've heard most of Eastern Europe is that way, but I haven't been to Asia--someday I hope). Anyway, it was so nice to read how you are finding adventure near home. Its good to think about. (and I'll send you a message later, I want to hear more about all your European adventures).
Looks great Lindsay- glad you are enjoying things out there- we miss you though, so anytime you feel the European travel urges coming back too strongly to ignore, then the first place you have to head is England! x
Lyns, love the pic's especially the last family photo of all of you together. Just lovely. You look BEAUTIFUL. Can't believe you pulled of such an amazing party for Carson right in the middle of a big move. How inspiring. I was thinking just a Costco cake would suffice but no my 3 year old deserves more too. Hope you are well. How far are you from Philly? I'm headed there June 2nd.
Post a Comment