If one assumes I mean the simplicity that entails laying back watching the clouds go by, then let me be more detailed.
Life has been insanely busy since we moved back to the U.S. and life has never been more unstable for us. Simple in this blog means lacking in wordly things. Our ways are simple. Our means are simple.
We are currently living in a tiny 3 bedroom apartment, toys are omitted, movies are few, my kitchen utensils are non-existent, although we did get ourselves a cheese grater the other day, got to have a cheese grater. We are getting by with as few things as possible. Even my closet is barebone. And my shoes are cut down to three pairs, my church shoes, my winter boots, and my running shoes.
As we wait for the slowest boat ever to cross the Atlantic I began to feel anxiety rise within me. How on earth am I going to entertain 4 children, who aren't in school, who don't have toys, in a tiny apartment?
However, over the past week, an awakening as occurred that I had forgotten about long ago. There was a time when kids got by without TV, without DVD, without Ninento Wii, without the PSP, without the IPOD, and strangely enough without toys. The children have found the ability to play once again. To let their imaginations run free and as Carson discovered on a rainy day this week that the bathroom sink and a plastic bowl can be the most exciting toy known to man.
Now don't get me wrong; Harvey and I are far from being electronic free, otherwise how would I write this blog? We didn't dare leave our precious Nintendo to be packed away on a boat for 3 months. Or the IPhones, or IPODs for that matter. The kids Grandparents have chipped in and bought them a few toys to make it through the next few months. However, with such a drop from their normal electronic use we have all learned that the world we live in today can supress the imagination and as we have weaned out their electronic usage we have rediscovered how fun the simple things in life can be. A stick, a rock, a plastic bowl, even your little brother can be nice to have around when you need something to do.
Saturday, January 10, 2009
The Simple Life
Posted by Scott Fam Dam at 3:03 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 comments:
Lindsay! Welcome back! Where are you living? What is Harvey doing? Is he still working for the same company?
The island of Saba (where we lived in the Caribbean) was so simple. I MISS IT SO MUCH! I only had one child to entertain (not four like you of different ages) but my little one loved watching the boats go by, watching the plane land, throwing rocks in the ocean, stomping in rain water, chasing geckos, and eating fresh bananas and coconuts. She had very few toys, and our entire house was only 500 square feet! We loved it so much. The simple life really brings out the creativity in yourself (and your children) and allows you to spend quality time with each other.
Hang in there! You're clothes and kitchen items are on their way! I know how inventive you will become when you have to make due with what you have!
Hang in there little camper. Sounds similiar to our experience when we moved to Hawaii for six months with only 4 suitcases. You will look back at this time with fond memories. You will grow closer as a family.
Hey- glad that everyone is ok- and glad that you're having fun being creative- what a great way to put a positive spin on what could be a considered a negative situation. Hang in there! Who knows- maybe they won't even want the toys when they arrive! (ha- yeah right!)
So that's what I have to look forward to over the next couple of months then!!! Can't wait!
It sounds heavenly...and simply wonderful.
I think my children could survive, but I don't think that I could.
I was catching up on your blog and, WOW! what craziness. Moving is SO much work. Maybe we'll get to see you guys sooner than later now. And, you are such a great writer. I love reading your stuff.
Welcome to the U.S! That kind of simplicity is so great! It's a cleaning out. The greatest part is that you get to learn all about what you really need. We could use a simple lesson like that over here! Good luck and hope that you can stabilize yourself soon and feel at home. You're great!
Post a Comment