Friday, August 27, 2010

One River and a Crazy Papa

During one of our weekends up at the cabin I coaxed my dad into building up an area in the river where the kids could play and not get swept away. Of course my dad is always on board with that sort of thing so we got out into the icy cold water and got to work and dragged my brother-in-law not so willingly out there with us.


Once was finished our feet were numb but throbbing in pain, not sure how that works, and we relaxed on the deck overlooking our handy work.

Suddenly the kids wanted to test out their new swimming hole and got in only to realize that it was indeed freezing cold. The temperature of this water is quite hard to explain. It is direct run off from the great Mount Timpanogos. This Siberian type water can glaciate every muscle, bone, and common sense you have in your body. For example, the kids were challenging one another to see who could put most of their body in when surprisingly enough their Papa came bounding into the frigid waters and immediately the common sense froze solid and before we knew it he had immersed his entire body.

Common sense benumbed, body solidified, and Grandkids impressed and challenged. Soon all were in the water not only immersing themselves completely but timing one another to see who could do it the longest. After all was said and done they ended up with blue lips, convulsing with chills and in search of the hot permeating sun.

One cold river, 7 frozen children and one of the coolest Papa's of all time! What good times!




2 comments:

Mills Family said...

Brrrrr! What a cool gramps. No pun intended! 8)

Daniel Kear said...

Dan here,
That looks like my kind of fun. I would have been in there with you guys and would have relishjed the Plunge with your dad. It gives me hope - the amount of trepidation and time it takes to pluck up the courage prior to a plunge into cold water is the measure I use to see how old I am. Your Dad gives me hope. Just went for it - what a guy.

I can see alot of you in both your mum and in what little I know of your dads character. If only we were on the same continent I could enjoy hnaging out with your dad.

I wish I could just pop down the road and see you guys. love dan