Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I am a Mom...

The other day I was receiving a facial. Oh yeah, my gift from Harvey. I was talking to this woman about how much I feel my skin has aged in recent years. I stated jokingly that maybe it was the stress of having so many children. She then asked how many children I had. I answered with a proud "5!" Her response took me by surprise. Normally when I answer this question I receive superlatives like, "Wow," or "You're incredible!". But she responded with a "Oh man, I'm sorry for you."


What?!

I didn't know what to say. I haven't heard motherhood described in quite so negative terms before. Why would being a mother to 5 require someone to feel sorry for me. Wasn't it obvious that in our day in age that this was a choice I had made. Did it occur to her that maybe I wanted 5 children? Was it possible that she took my "children causes accelerated aging" comment too seriously?

Maybe she was joking, so I sort of laughed at her comment.

She didn't laugh back. It was quite obvious that she was serious. So I brushed it off and moved onto another topic.

Mother's day arrived just two days after and again my mind turned to this woman's comment. As I laid in bed with all my children snuggled up next too me, having just been served a breakfast in bed, the kids waking up as if it was Christmas morning to present me with my gifts. I realized that instead of laughing at this woman's comment and shrugging it off I should have gently stated; "Don't feel sorry for me! I have the best job in the world. I reap the rewards of my daily challenges each and every day. There is nothing in this world I would rather be doing."

"There is no greater good in all the world than motherhood. The influence of a mother in the lives of her children is beyond calculation." James E. Faust

"The love of a true mother comes nearer to being like the love of God than any other kind of love." Joseph F. Smith

So let's start again. I am a mom! Need I say more?!

9 comments:

angi reynolds said...

Beautifully said, Lindsey.

Ford Family said...

I agree- well said. People who think like that are beyond my comprehension too.

Mills Family said...

And a darn good mom too! Love you Linds!

jkmace said...

Love it Lindsey, after the discussion over ice cream, I decided I needed to get back to blogging to only find out that I didn't have your blog anymore, so I found you again through Ross and Eliza's, Love your thoughts!

Unknown said...

To bad we don't say what we should have but most often I say what I should have waited just a few minutes to say. You express motherhood wonderfully Love you always Pam

HAVING THE TIME OF MY LIFE....... said...

Nope....i have always loved the statement in the RS motto...find nobility in motherhood! No better way than to express like you did too.

Heather S said...

I agree!

The Leslies said...

Lindsey, you need to write a book. You write so well and you're so creative and thoughtful with what you write, you notice so much of what goes on around you. It's a pleasure and an inspiration to read. And your kids are absolutely beautiful!

Misty said...

Linds, I haven't kept in touch with you for a while, but I must tell you that you are an amazing person! I love your passion for your kids and Harvey. You write so well and you totally motivate me to love life and be a great mom! Hope you are doing well! Camden and I just did a triathlon together here in Denver last weekend and she said she had a great time in Bear Lake with you guys! Sorry you lost your camera! Your swimming pictures were incredible.