Thursday, January 07, 2010

And I am still here...

Just days away from the due date and after starting and stopping contractions I hate to report all has come to a stand still. The question is now, when will this baby come? I know the common response is, she's gotta come at some point? But really, who wants to go over due and deliver a 10+lb baby, no one! So here is my option. Do I induce or not? Pros and Cons:

Pro:
-I can schedule babysitters for my other children.
-I get to have the Dr. that I have been seeing all along deliver the baby and not some stranger.
-Baby will arrive on Saturday vs. some other day after Saturday.
-I can plan, schedule and relax knowing everything is taken care of while I am in the hospital.
-I have a uterus of steel and wonder if it will ever let this baby go!
-Harvey will be home a whole week before he starts his new job.

Con:
-Inducing is harder on the body, especially with a 5th child which going in naturally would be quicker labor and delivery.
-I would probably resort to having an epidural which I have only done one other time and don't want to do it again.
-I have been induced with 3 of the 4 of my children and really wanted to go into labor on my own for once!

Seriously, I am struggling with this dilemma. I just want to do what is best for baby and mommy and 4 of my other precious gems. I am sure I am making a much bigger deal of this than need be, but I am 39 1/2 weeks pregnant, highly emotional, and feeling hormonal and crazy!

10 comments:

Hilarie said...

I had read some of your posts on Facebook about this. My first labor was 48 hours (no induction) and had to have a c-section. Now I just schedule them. BUT I have a friend that never induces and has her babies naturally and she said that when she goes over her due date (she has done so with 5 out of 6 kids) she plans at least one fun activity each day with her kids (museums, library events, etc) and she said it REALLY helps the time go by for both her and the kids. Don't know what I would do, but that sounded like a fun idea and a way to deal with the possibility of going past a due date. Good luck with the decision!

Koch Clan said...

First of all wow, that you only had one epidural. That is amazing! Really being induced does stink but do you want a bigger baby too. If only we could predict when we will go into labor things would be much easier! Good luck and enjoy your new little baby!

Becky said...

Lindz,
Jump off the bed stiff legged. That should do it.

Church Family said...

Lyns, Yay you have made it. Congratulations!! I am bias of course. I have always been induced so I suggest that route if doc. is willing. Ask doc. about prostiglandins. Those were my favorite and calmest way to be induced. It will work if your body is ready. It wont if your not. A gentle nudge. But my sister drank castor oil. It worked for her. Good Luck.

HAVING THE TIME OF MY LIFE....... said...

Listen just do it! I wish you could experience a C-section....now that is a ride. Let's get this little bundle of joy here and see some cute pic's... Go LUCK GIRL.

Mandy said...

Now, you know I'm here and hearing every ounce of your pain and mulling over those same options.
I finally gave in and scheduled my induction for tomorrow morning. Nothing makes me happier than to know that I get to meet this little girl tomorrow. I'm beginning to wonder if my body will ever go in to labor. It was a really hard decision for me. I feel your pain!

I'm super impressed that you have only had one epidural. You are awesome! I would love to do the natural thing. Heck, maybe tomorrow I will. Good luck with your choice! Next time we touch base, we won't be pregnant anymore!!! YAY!!!

The Richeys said...

Hey Linds - I always thought it would be nice to have a choice, but it sounds like it's not as easy as all that! I am a new coming and as such have no advice to offer I'm afraid! But I wish you good luck and I'm sure either way it will be fine! Can't wait to see some pictures of your cute new little girl!

Angie said...

Lyndsay, I hear you on the whole induction....ugh, remember our Canada experience. Let us not remember. Hang in there and hopefully you are having this baby naturally as I type...with no pain or complications.

Camden said...

Lindsay-I was induced 3 out of 4 times and loved it. My water broke with Morgan-but only with a little help...from Kent. Try it. It might work!! Good luck, can't wait to hear.

And btw, I don't believe that her little spirit will be more or less ready if you choose to induce!

julia said...

Just hang in there!, she will have to come out sooner or later, that is guaranteed!! Try and concentrate on the children as once new baby arrives it will never be the same again! I never had your problem as James was 5 wks early and twins 6 wks early!!! (boys cant wait to get out!)
Fingers and toes crossed that not much longer to go, whatever you deceide to do.

Julia James Oliver Tom
xxxx