When I see someone out running on a beautiful fall day or even on a rotten horrible snowy day I get a tinge of jealousy. How I long to be feeling that freedom of the road. Just me and my thoughts and no interruptions. I love the smell in the air as you run with that slight breeze blowing your sweaty smell into your nose (yes, really I do). I love how I feel after the run, the accomplishment of a good run and the feeling of healthy lungs and a strong beating heart. I am always reminded of the gratitude I have for the ability to run.
But even more than the day-to-day run I love the races. I love the atmosphere of the race. The nervous feeling that trickles through your body and the adrenaline rush as the gun goes off and like cattle your herded through the starting line. I love the thoughts that pop into my head as I feel I am about to give up, those thoughts urging me forward, encouraging me onward; the only time I as a woman give myself any credit.
At the moment my desires for a good run have been willingly put on hold. They now consist of me walking while pushing Rylie in the jogging stroller and as I find that downhill slope I pick up the speed to a slight jog just so I can feel that pleasure of the pounding pavement.
But this last weekend I was able to pass the torch (for just a few more months) onto my oldest daughters. This last weekend they ran a race. It was one designed especially for children. I encouraged Madison and Savannah to run this race. Madison's age group ran a 1/2 mile and Savannah's age group ran 1 mile.
As the girls waited for their age category to be called I could sense the anticipation they were feeling. I became almost giddy with excitement as I watched them at the starting line waiting for that gun to go off. It was as if I could visibly see the adrenaline kick start them as they began their race. As we waited for them at the finish line nothing could give me more pleasure than to see their tired faces come around the corner. As they heard their family members cheering them on I felt within them a spark of that adrenaline come back as they picked up speed to finish strong.
Yes, for that moment I was able to feel and enjoy all those feelings I feel during my runs and races. And it is okay to live vicariously through them as it gave me so much pleasure to see their happy and proud faces, and to hear them articulate just how proud they were of themselves and how much they look forward to the next one.
I was so proud of my daughters that day. I was proud of the goal they set and the goal they achieved. Job well done my ladies!!!
My Girlies right before the race








6 comments:
I can't believe how grown up Savannah looks! They did a great job, well done!
Way to go, girls!! Such a great accomplishment!
That is awesome.
Super Cute those two girls are. I just love them.
Go girls :-) .... following well in their mum's footsteps!! Yes, I agree with Sam, Sav looks so grown up and so tall! We miss them, send them our love x x x
Oh Lindsay, I just love your writing. What a great mom to encourage them to run. I read your pregnancy post...hang in there. I love the picture of the toes...fabulous!
Post a Comment