Thursday, July 23, 2009

Running for Freedom


The very first 10k I ever ran was exactly 12 years ago with my dad. It was the Provo Freedom Run. I love this race because for more than half of it you are running through the much anticipated parade route, so you have fans cheering you on the entire time.


When I first signed up for this race I wasn't expecting to be pregnant and I was training to smash my original time of 12 years ago. But alas, my competitive spirit had to be squelched and Harvey stayed right by my side to ensure that I "listened to my body" the entire race. And I did, I ran a slow, comfortable pace with Harvey inches in front of me almost the entire time. I know he wanted to take off but he was faithful and stayed near me at all times. My brother also ran the race for the first time. It was awesome to have us all there together.


I missed my dad terribly this race though, it just isn't the same without him running alongside me and encouraging me the entire time. I will never forget 12 years ago as I saw the finish line I bolted, and I could hear my dad behind me shouting in my direction, "Go Lindsay, go!"
Although I missed you dad terribly I was able to find the resemblance of you in my brother and your encouraging spirit in my hubby. What a great trio we made!

4 comments:

Debs said...

Wow Linds! Well done - I can't imagine doing it at all let alone being pregnant! x x

Ford Family said...

Well done! I agree with Debbie- there's no way I could do that, let alone be pregnant as well- I admire you. How is the pregnancy going? You look great in that picture, is there any sickness? Have you got a bump yet? I'm not sure how far along you are. x

The Richeys said...

Well done Linds! You didn't need no magic shoes from Running Fox in Lboro! And I knowit won't be your last 10k either! You go!

Mills Family said...

Linds your an inspiration. I didn't know you were in Utah over the 4th. We were there too. It would have been fun to see you.