As you observe this look, one can only guess what emotions he must be feeling. Is it annoyance, anger, thoughtful determination, frustration, exhaustion? No one is really certain.
This look was richly spred throughout my entire childhood. With either myself being the recipient or any of my family members. At first we would walk away a bit down trodden, but as we grew to adolescence we tried to encourage this look. It became a game of sorts. My brother would steal water crafts, or was it just their engines? I would randomly stay out past curfew or perform the occasional car accident; and notoriously back talk without fear of his wrath. My sister Angie, I believe, was the master of bringing this look to the surface. Whether it was her mouthy comments, her lack of household chores, her endless social life, her booty dance, her phase of "mooning" people, or her boy crazed youth; she seemed to keep this look a constant on his face throughout most of her adolescence. I believe Michelle's attributes in bringing this look about were, well, gosh I can't think of any. I am starting to suspect she may be the favorite!
No one is entirely certain of why this look occurs, but there is one thing we do know. We are all good at bringing it about, with the exception of Michelle. My Mom just may be the champion; she just has the knack. The ability to make it rise and conquer any other emotion he may be feeling at the time. She truly has the respect of us all and to her we slowly bow.
We are all now, unbeknownst to my dad, passing on these tidbits of information onto our own children. As they annoy, little does he know we have secretly spred this ability to make this look come about. It is fun and we hope that one day our own children will pass on the secret and we will watch with proud satisfaction that not only did we create this look but are continiuing and passing the knowledge on. For our hope and desire to have this look forever remain and never leave this face. This look is Dad to us now. It is who he is and yes, we absolutely love not only this look, but the man who possesses it!
(We love you Dad, and I hope you know, it is this look that makes me now smile. Happy belated Birthday. Next year we will put a recorded rendition of Harvey's famous "Happy Birthday" melodies.)




4 comments:
Listen it will be great seeing you this summer... i hope it is a longer chat then our last meeting in Ithaca..it was like a pee-break at my house and then you where gone!
So, I want you to know that the reason I never enjoyed these looks from our father is because they scared the CRAP out of me! I didn't enjoy being the recipient (and I was on occasion), so I just never let him find out anything. But yes, I'm pretty sure I am the favorite because I never went through a mooning phase. (Which I still have nightmares about).And dad can still scare me with that one look, which I think I get more often now then I did when I was a teenager.
Ok I do not know if I should be offended or laugh. I still bring on that look. I am a master of it. I can now just walk into a room and turn that look on. I use to feel hurt, now I feel proud when I can bring it on:) By the way you make me sound like a wild child. Please no more of brining me into the blogs!
For the record: it was a battery. It was 17 years ago. I got a LOT more than just some silly look. And did we really have to bring that up?
Post a Comment