Monday, April 28, 2014

Madison is 12 years old!


My Maddie has turned 12...seriously what is happening here.  Madison is my shocker.  She is the birthday that seems to shock me every year.  Well it's a tie between her and Emma.  I think it's because she is my itty bitty.  She doesn't look 12, she doesn't look like a Young Woman, therefore she isn't, right?!

She may not look 12 but she most certainly acts 12.  Madison has become my saving grace.  As life gets hectic around me, she seems to be the calming, sensical voice inside my head.  Well, sometimes...as we enter the adolescent phase of life I do feel the not-so-sensical teenage part of her comes out from time to time.  

I want to share an example of her maturity and her wisdom...Madison has become quite the accomplished gymnast.  As she achieved this accomplishment naturally she was invited to join the competitive team.  Through her determination and hard work she achieved what she set out to achieve since the age of 6.  She was ready and excited.  As she joined the team she continued to work hard and she loved every minute of it.  But as the adventure began Harvey and I were looking at the cost of the program vs. our income and we began to wonder how we were going to make it work.  A few months into it Harvey and I decided we weren't going to be able to keep Madison on this path.  It pained us.  We felt horrible.  The one thing she wanted she wasn't going to be able to have.  All parents want to give their child what they deserve and what they desire, especially if it is one she had put years of dedication into.  So one day after gymnastics I had to sit down with Madison and explain the situation.  As I told her of our desire to provide her with this opportunity but the expense being to great to grant it she looked at me with complete and total understanding.  I began to weep.  My heart was so full of love for this child as she turned to me with tears in her eyes and said, "Mom I understand, giving me this opportunity takes away from the other kids...I am talented and good at a lot of things and if I can't do gymnastics I am pretty sure I can find something else I am good at."  Oh the confidence, the gratitude, the wisdom.  At this moment not only was Madison my example she was my teacher.  She taught me sacrifice and selflessness.  She was willing to sacrifice her dreams for the family.  I wept and as I wept she wept.  It was cleansing, and it was wonderful.  

Madison you surprise me every day whether it is through your hot temper or your mature insight...I AM AMAZED.  ALWAYS AMAZED at you.  Happy Birthday my beautifully smart, wonderful, determined, confident 12 year old.

0 comments: