Yesterday I ironically finished a book about the holocaust. This particular event that took place during the holocaust has been nearly lost in history; pushed out of the human mind because of guilt, shame or unfortunately indifference. There are many events in our history that are so tragic, painful and catastrophic that some of us may choose to forget. If we did would history repeat itself? Would mankind ever jump the hurdle of its perpetual need to dominate? Or would we simply be doing an injustice to those who suffered? Forgetting what happened is like forgetting they ever existed.
Sunday, September 12, 2010
Always Remember, Never Forget
I will never forget where I was September 11, 2001. At the time I couldn't have been more physically removed from New York City. We were living in a city equivalent in size, diversity and beauty but abiding on an entirely different shore. Vancouver, BC was our perch and there it was when we found out the tragedy that was taking place in our distance homeland. We were living with a Chinese family. I walked out of my bedroom and heard loud chatter, as I looked over towards the television set I saw they were pointing and conversing with boyish immaturity. Peaked by their state of lightmindedness I walked towards them. That is when I saw Harvey's face. With his eyes wide, his hand drawn over his mouth and his head shaking I knew instantly that what they were watching was not the entertainment I came to think. I sat down next to Harvey and asked what they were watching. Harvey was unable to answer and I began to watch with earnest. Listening to the words of the reporter I was able to piece together what was happening. Along with observing the ashen faces, the hysterics, bodies falling to their death out of sheer panic, the crying women and the heroes of servicemen; my heart began to sink. I couldn't believe what was happening.
America has always been protected. A land of freedom never to be interrupted. I sat their in disbelief. These were things you watched happen in foreign lands, not my home. Growing increasingly irritated by our Chinese associates; I came to quickly understand that they were lost in translation; thinking they had just walked in on a movie Harvey was watching. Not fully understanding what was happening, that it was indeed reality, their loud behavior became too much for me. And that's when I saw the children on the screen. Those poor sweet children. Faces full of fear, confusion and tears. I immediately broke down. It was then that all in the room understood. Translation became clear and the tragedy was obvious, all fell sullen and it was then that Harvey was able to translate the tragedy that had just occurred. I swept Savannah up in my arms and walked back into my bedroom. I couldn't watch anymore. It was devastating. I held Savannah in my arms and cried.
Over the course of days we came to learn of those who were directly affected, the families of the heroes lost, the heroes who saved and the poor souls that unknowingly woke up that morning only to die that day. September 11th will always remain in my head as a day to remember; never to forget, hopefully never to be repeated. As with all our worlds past shameful and unnecessary afflictions, we can't forget. We must pay tribute to the lives lost, and lives permanently changed forever. Without doing so our obliviousness will cause numbness, possible repetition and an allowance to those that seek to destroy. Our hearts need to remember as painful as it may be for those who experienced it deserve nothing less. September 11th a day of infamy; a day of when the desperate levels of hatred became sickeningly known but we also saw the hearts of the courageous and the power of a nation united. May the souls of September 11th always live on in our hearts forever.
Posted by Scott Fam Dam at 11:49 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Touching post, Lindsay. Thank you for helping us remember.
Darrell
what an incredible writer! That was beautiful and brought tears to my eyes...it needs to be published so thousands of others can read that!!! You're amazing!
Lindsay, it has been months since I have visited your family blog and I have missed out. I love how you write from the heart and hold nothing back. I wish I could be the same. I absolutely fell in love with all of your summer photos. Oh and your baby....oh my heck, so stinkin' cute!
HOLLENBECKS....how could we ever forget that place!
Post a Comment